Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Part_No Part_No is offline

Default Poor year for runner beans

(Peter James) wrote in
news:1jo7ayj.b3u8idcjm4bmN%pfjames2000@googlemail. com:

My runner beans have been awful this year. I've got two lots, one lot
in the garden and the other up in the allotment. They've both failed to
produce a decent crop.
Is this just a poor year for them?

Peter

Mine have been poor too if it's any consolatoin to you.
They have had all the TLC they have been given in past years but maybe it's
just one of those bad years in our particular soil or in our areas.

Did you have any successes with any other vegetables?

I have had a mixed year with a few disappointments, but as a whole I would
describe this year as a success.
No carrot fly for the first time(made a 2 foot high polythene barrier)
No cabbage root fly (used carpet collars around the stems)

Next year of course will be completely different, thats sods law!

Good luck to you and all
Part_No