Old 06-09-2010, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Kilner Jars

"Moonraker" wrote
Many years ago I had my mothers extensive collection of Kilner Jars, these
were the type with a metal lid and metal screw band. After some years it
became impossible to obtain the lids, which only lasted a few times. With
great reluctance I threw the jars out and bought the new type with glass
lids, separate sealing rings and plastic screw bands. Alas these have now
become obsolete and they are now making the metal type again, what a rip
off.
Anyway moan over, how good are the type with a lever and clip to seal the
lids? Which type do you find give least "failures".

We use the French type with the wired on lids and wire lever and clip with a
rubber sealing ring, work OK for us, never had a problem with air getting
in. Most kitchen shops seem to sell these now, I can't say I've seen a
Kilner jar for a while.
Also had the same problem as you with the Kilner Jars, the plastic screw
ones worked well but why have they gone back to the metal type that rust,
unless the modern ones don't rust.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden