Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kilner Jars

Many years ago I had my mothers extensive collection of Kilner Jars,
these were the type with a metal lid and metal screw band. After some
years it became impossible to obtain the lids, which only lasted a few
times. With great reluctance I threw the jars out and bought the new
type with glass lids, separate sealing rings and plastic screw bands.
Alas these have now become obsolete and they are now making the metal
type again, what a rip off.
Anyway moan over, how good are the type with a lever and clip to seal
the lids? Which type do you find give least "failures".
Old 06-09-2010, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote
Many years ago I had my mothers extensive collection of Kilner Jars, these
were the type with a metal lid and metal screw band. After some years it
became impossible to obtain the lids, which only lasted a few times. With
great reluctance I threw the jars out and bought the new type with glass
lids, separate sealing rings and plastic screw bands. Alas these have now
become obsolete and they are now making the metal type again, what a rip
off.
Anyway moan over, how good are the type with a lever and clip to seal the
lids? Which type do you find give least "failures".

We use the French type with the wired on lids and wire lever and clip with a
rubber sealing ring, work OK for us, never had a problem with air getting
in. Most kitchen shops seem to sell these now, I can't say I've seen a
Kilner jar for a while.
Also had the same problem as you with the Kilner Jars, the plastic screw
ones worked well but why have they gone back to the metal type that rust,
unless the modern ones don't rust.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-09-2010, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , news@j-
towill.co.uk says...

Many years ago I had my mothers extensive collection of Kilner Jars,
these were the type with a metal lid and metal screw band. After some
years it became impossible to obtain the lids, which only lasted a few
times. With great reluctance I threw the jars out and bought the new
type with glass lids, separate sealing rings and plastic screw bands.
Alas these have now become obsolete and they are now making the metal
type again, what a rip off.
Anyway moan over, how good are the type with a lever and clip to seal
the lids? Which type do you find give least "failures".

I use the all glass type, with the wire round the lid. Come in varying
sizes, perticularly in France) from 0.25l upto 1litre (or possibly 2).
Rubber sealing rings are quite good, and can be used many times,
provided you can open the jar without damaging them!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article , news@j-
towill.co.uk says...

Many years ago I had my mothers extensive collection of Kilner Jars,
these were the type with a metal lid and metal screw band. After some
years it became impossible to obtain the lids, which only lasted a
few times. With great reluctance I threw the jars out and bought the
new type with glass lids, separate sealing rings and plastic screw
bands. Alas these have now become obsolete and they are now making
the metal type again, what a rip off.
Anyway moan over, how good are the type with a lever and clip to seal
the lids? Which type do you find give least "failures".

I use the all glass type, with the wire round the lid. Come in varying
sizes, perticularly in France) from 0.25l upto 1litre (or possibly 2).
Rubber sealing rings are quite good, and can be used many times,
provided you can open the jar without damaging them!

If you have a household-garden-hobbies shop called "The Range", they
have both the French-style wire clip ones, by Tala, and, IIRC, Kilner
jars; but stock fluctuates. Meanwhile, IKEA sell the French type, but
without any claim of being heatproof, and with polythene "sealing" rings
which do NOT form a watertight seal (I tried with some fruit pickled in
rum). Most annoyingly, there seems to be a fashion for selling them
simply as storage jars, and for the more idiotic chefs to serve food in
them, and neither of these purposes needs them to be boil-proof. Tala
are OK in my experience.

--
Mike.

Old 14-09-2010, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Moonraker wrote:

Anyway moan over, how good are the type with a lever and clip to seal
the lids? Which type do you find give least "failures".

Sutcliffe?

Never had any problems with them.

--
Rusty

OT opening Kilner jars Moonraker United Kingdom 117 02-05-2015 09:15 AM
Sterilizing Kilner jars Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 74 19-09-2013 06:44 PM
Kilner jars. Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 62 05-09-2013 01:46 AM
Preserving your crop in Kilner Jars kilnerman United Kingdom 0 28-04-2007 12:54 PM