Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Plant I.D. please

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , mark
writes
At an 'open gardens' event in July I took a cutting of this plant
(with permish!) and it took successfully.
I would like to know what it is.

It's a purple cut-leaved elder. None of the cultivar names in Plant
Finder rings a bell, but Google finds me Sambucus nigra Black Lace,
which may be the cultivar you have. Further googling informs me that
that Black Lace is a sales name for Sambucus nigra 'Eva', which is in
Plant Finder.

Thanks
mark

Images he

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/?action=view
&current=Plant1.jpg

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/?action=view
&current=Plant1a.jpg

On the subject of elders, Chiltern list seed of S. caerulea (=S.
glauca), or Blue elderberry. They claim it bears very heavy crops of
berries "prized in California for pies, jams and wine". This makes me
wonder if it's a better fruit than our native elder, which can certainly
give good wine if you know what you're doing, but I wouldn't choose to
make jam out of. Has anybody any knowledge or experience of this tree?

--
Mike.