Old 07-09-2010, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant I.D. please

At an 'open gardens' event in July I took a cutting of this plant (with
permish!) and it took successfully.
I would like to know what it is.

Thanks
mark

Images he

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/q...ent=Plant1.jpg

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=Plant1a.jpg

Old 07-09-2010, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes
At an 'open gardens' event in July I took a cutting of this plant (with
permish!) and it took successfully.
I would like to know what it is.

It's a purple cut-leaved elder. None of the cultivar names in Plant
Finder rings a bell, but Google finds me Sambucus nigra Black Lace,
which may be the cultivar you have. Further googling informs me that
that Black Lace is a sales name for Sambucus nigra 'Eva', which is in
Plant Finder.

Thanks
mark

Images he

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/?action=view
&current=Plant1.jpg

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/?action=view
&current=Plant1a.jpg

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , mark
writes
At an 'open gardens' event in July I took a cutting of this plant
(with permish!) and it took successfully.
I would like to know what it is.

It's a purple cut-leaved elder. None of the cultivar names in Plant
Finder rings a bell, but Google finds me Sambucus nigra Black Lace,
which may be the cultivar you have. Further googling informs me that
that Black Lace is a sales name for Sambucus nigra 'Eva', which is in
Plant Finder.

Thanks
mark

Images he

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/?action=view
&current=Plant1.jpg

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/?action=view
&current=Plant1a.jpg

On the subject of elders, Chiltern list seed of S. caerulea (=S.
glauca), or Blue elderberry. They claim it bears very heavy crops of
berries "prized in California for pies, jams and wine". This makes me
wonder if it's a better fruit than our native elder, which can certainly
give good wine if you know what you're doing, but I wouldn't choose to
make jam out of. Has anybody any knowledge or experience of this tree?

--
Mike.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
[...]

Yes the american elders grow well in the uk and flower well but the fruit
set is never as heavy as our native elder and the birds strip them before
they are ripe (so they are tasty)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-09-2010, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes
At an 'open gardens' event in July I took a cutting of this plant (with
permish!) and it took successfully.
I would like to know what it is.

It's a purple cut-leaved elder. None of the cultivar names in Plant Finder
rings a bell, but Google finds me Sambucus nigra Black Lace, which may be
the cultivar you have. Further googling informs me that that Black Lace is
a sales name for Sambucus nigra 'Eva', which is in Plant Finder.

Thank you Stewart.

mark