Old 16-09-2010, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Martin Riddle Martin Riddle is offline

Default End of garden post

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

Hello,

I'm hoping for some input. I'm pretty much done gardening this year.
.
I've got a few tomatoes and peppers left. My eggplants did awesome.
I'm
looking forward to next year already and my improvements. Here's my
biggest
issue to overcome. I cant tell when my veggies are ready to be
pulled. I
left the corn too long to the point the kernals got a little crinkly
and
soft. The eggplants were lenient but should of been pulled. Some
lettuce
bolted then I realized it was time. Some yellow tomatoes got real
soft
last month. . I pulled some onion sets real early. Then lost the
rest to
weeds mostly.

I've managed to get the weeds in check . The piles of hay and ground
cover
actually worked really well. Ruth Stout wasn't full of crap. My work
load
on weeds. was down about 75% .

Bug issues were not an issue . I only had bugs on fallen tomatoes.
Flea
beetles early on the eggplants. And Japanese beetles were held in
check by
sacrificing the grapes for the corn.

I have more trouble with ants in the house then bugs in the garden.

Look into oil of Pennyroyal which deters and sugar with boric acid
which kills.

Terro ant killer is sugar/boric acid, works well. Wallmart carries it.
Or you can mix your own.

Cheers