Old 17-09-2010, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Wildflowers of Israel

On 9/16/10 11:15 PM, in article , "David
Hare-Scott" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 9/16/10 6:52 AM, in article
, "Pat
Kiewicz" wrote:

David Hare-Scott said:

Higgs Boson wrote:
Here's an interesting article about origin of many seeds we grow in
So. Calif:
=============

Wildflowers of Israel

by Leslie Berliant, Contributing Writer

Lupinus Mountain Blue. Below: Ammi Visnaga. Photos courtesy
SeedCount

Enter any Trader Joe's grocery store in Southern California and you
are likely to find vibrant sunflowers with golden orange leaves
and a dark center among the bouquets and potted plants. What many
customers
might not realize is that the sunflower being sold is called
Jerusalem Gold, which is grown in Santa Barbara from a seed native
to Israel.

Is it native to Israel? I mean in the sense that its first know
cultivation was in Israel from wild stock. I don't know.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that sunflowers were North American
natives, originally.

The early settlers in Israel sent a lot of effort hybridizing many
plants (fruits, vegetables, trees and flowers) to the semi-arid
desert.

Indeed they did, sadly the article doesn't really make that clear.

David

I could post about that, but some one might label me anti-Islam.