Old 16-09-2010, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wildflowers of Israel

Here's an interesting article about origin of many seeds we grow in
So. Calif:
=============

Wildflowers of Israel

by Leslie Berliant, Contributing Writer

Lupinus Mountain Blue. Below: Ammi Visnaga. Photos courtesy SeedCount

Enter any Trader Joe’s grocery store in Southern California and you
are likely to find vibrant sunflowers with golden orange leaves and a
dark center among the bouquets and potted plants. What many customers
might not realize is that the sunflower being sold is called Jerusalem
Gold, which is grown in Santa Barbara from a seed native to Israel.

Many of the cucumbers, bell peppers, basil and tomatoes grown in
Southern California also come from Israeli seeds. Even some vegetables
and herbs imported from places like Mexico come from seeds that
originate in Israel.

Israeli agriculture has had a big impact around the world, even if few
people know about it. And that is true in Southern California, too,
where a Mediterranean climate provides ideal conditions for flora from
the Jewish state.

(rest of article with pictures at http://www.jewishjournal.com/
mount_sinai/article)/wildflowers_of_israel_20100324

Hypatia
Old 16-09-2010, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

Here's an interesting article about origin of many seeds we grow in
So. Calif:
=============

Wildflowers of Israel

by Leslie Berliant, Contributing Writer

Lupinus Mountain Blue. Below: Ammi Visnaga. Photos courtesy SeedCount

Enter any Trader Joe¹s grocery store in Southern California and you
are likely to find vibrant sunflowers with golden orange leaves and a
dark center among the bouquets and potted plants. What many customers
might not realize is that the sunflower being sold is called Jerusalem
Gold, which is grown in Santa Barbara from a seed native to Israel.

Many of the cucumbers, bell peppers, basil and tomatoes grown in
Southern California also come from Israeli seeds. Even some vegetables
and herbs imported from places like Mexico come from seeds that
originate in Israel.

Israeli agriculture has had a big impact around the world, even if few
people know about it. And that is true in Southern California, too,
where a Mediterranean climate provides ideal conditions for flora from
the Jewish state.

Otherwise known as "Occupied Palestine".
http://www.haaretz.com/

--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 16-09-2010, 10:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Here's an interesting article about origin of many seeds we grow in
So. Calif:
=============

Wildflowers of Israel

by Leslie Berliant, Contributing Writer

Lupinus Mountain Blue. Below: Ammi Visnaga. Photos courtesy SeedCount

Enter any Trader Joe’s grocery store in Southern California and you
are likely to find vibrant sunflowers with golden orange leaves and a
dark center among the bouquets and potted plants. What many customers
might not realize is that the sunflower being sold is called Jerusalem
Gold, which is grown in Santa Barbara from a seed native to Israel.

Is it native to Israel? I mean in the sense that its first know cultivation
was in Israel from wild stock. I don't know.

Many of the cucumbers, bell peppers, basil and tomatoes grown in
Southern California also come from Israeli seeds. Even some vegetables
and herbs imported from places like Mexico come from seeds that
originate in Israel.

This is misleading as it allows one to think that these plants originated in
Israel. Now Iraelis may be responsible for some fine cultivars (such as the
Ha Ogen (sp?) melon) but tomatoes and peppers originated in the New World.

David

Old 16-09-2010, 11:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
the Jewish state.

Otherwise known as "Occupied Palestine".

Billy give it a rest please. There are plenty of places you can go to have
this fight (sorry I meant dialogue) but how about making this not one of
them.

David

Old 16-09-2010, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott said:

Higgs Boson wrote:
Here's an interesting article about origin of many seeds we grow in
So. Calif:
=============

Wildflowers of Israel

by Leslie Berliant, Contributing Writer

Lupinus Mountain Blue. Below: Ammi Visnaga. Photos courtesy

SeedCount

Enter any Trader Joe’s grocery store in Southern California and you
are likely to find vibrant sunflowers with golden orange leaves and a
dark center among the bouquets and potted plants. What many

customers
might not realize is that the sunflower being sold is called Jerusalem
Gold, which is grown in Santa Barbara from a seed native to Israel.

Is it native to Israel? I mean in the sense that its first know cultivation
was in Israel from wild stock. I don't know.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that sunflowers were North American natives,
originally.

Many of the cucumbers, bell peppers, basil and tomatoes grown in
Southern California also come from Israeli seeds. Even some vegetables
and herbs imported from places like Mexico come from seeds that
originate in Israel.

This is misleading as it allows one to think that these plants originated in
Israel. Now Iraelis may be responsible for some fine cultivars (such as the
Ha Ogen (sp?) melon) but tomatoes and peppers originated in the New
World.

A whole host of what have become some of our most commonly consumed
vegetables were originally domesticated by the native people of the
Americas.

The advantage of seed production in Israel, for many of these species, is
the *lack* of wild ancestors or closely related native plants. That and, most
likely, easy isolation from large scale farming of the same vegetables.

FWIW, I notice that Japan and Holland turn up as countries origins for quite
a few of my seed packets.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 16-09-2010, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 16, 5:12*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 9/16/10 6:52 AM, in article
, "Pat Kiewicz"

wrote:
David Hare-Scott said:

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

The early settlers in Israel sent a lot of effort hybridizing many plants
(fruits, vegetables, trees and flowers) to the semi-arid desert.

It's still going on; Israel is a world leader in this work. Current
research is
based in part on the work of one of the great pioneering Israeli
agronomists, Aaron Aaronson.
Lots of info on-line, about him, plus considerable material in books
about the early efforts of the chalutzim,
or pioneers.

These young pioneers, some just in their teens and twenties, escaping
from the pogroms of Europe,
suffered a terrible death rate from malaria and other ailments,
overwork and malnutrition,
but they persevered; they drained the swamps and "made the desert
bloom".
Old 19-09-2010, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
the Jewish state.

Otherwise known as "Occupied Palestine".

Billy give it a rest please. There are plenty of places you can go to have
this fight (sorry I meant dialogue) but how about making this not one of
them.

David

I understand, genocide is a tasteless subject.