Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Michi Henning

Default Need Help with a fresh planted tank...

"Ed" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Dec 2002 21:58:11 GMT, "Michi Henning"
wrote:

No, that will only make it worse. The bluer the spectrum of your lights,
the more you encourage algae.

Hmmmm... ?!?

Can you provide a reference?

Only anecdotal, I'm afraid. I've been talking to many people over the years
about lighting. An often quoted opinion is that "anything above 6000 K will
encourage algae." I remember speaking to one of the Giesemann
(www.giesemann.de)
developers about two years ago, who told me the same thing.

Kasselmann ("Aquarium Plants", Krieger Publishing) recommends warm tone lamps
in the range 2700-4000K. Personally, I think that's too red/yellow, but I guess
it's
a matter of taste. Currently, I'm using two 150W MH lamps at 5700K, plus to 36W
Osram Lumilux Plus 860 (6000K) on a 150g tank. The results in a somewhat
yellowish color rendition, and tends to keep algae down. (But I had to reduce
the
lighting period to 10 hours per day -- any more than that, and green hair algae
were a problem.)

Cheers,

Michi.

--