Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Velvet

Default Power filter media cleaning question

"RifRaf" wrote in message
I have an AQ200 loaded with just 2 sponges. Established tank.

I'm concerned about cleaning the sponges and removing the bacteria
colonies. So far, I've just been pulling the sponges and GENTLY
rinsing them off in tap water and putting them back in the filter.

What is the proper cleaning procedure in this case?

Chris

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----

Um, washing in any temperature of tap water is BAD for bacterial colonies.
The chlorine or chloramine? in it will kill it instantly. Best bet is to
clean it in the water you've just removed from your tank for a water
change - I find removing half the quantity of water to be changed, squish
hte sponge around to remove the worst of the solid waste, tip water away,
remove other half of water to be changed, squish sponge around in that, tip
water away, then refill tank with treated tapwater and replace sponge in
filter, away you go. Don't change all the tank water at once (you likely
don't, but I'm just making it clear) - 10-20% every week or two should be
fine.

Velvet