Old 23-09-2010, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Storing Sweet Potatoes

Pavel314 wrote:
We planted sweet potatoes for the first time this year and had a
bumper crop. I googled about how long they could be stored and got
answers ranging from three weeks to eight months. Has anyone had
experience with this?

Paul

I have been growing them for some years and trying various storage methods.
You need a cool dry place, not cold like a refrigerator but cool. I grow
them in summer and harvest in autumn when the frost has just knocked them
down or will soon. So they are dug about mid May. I still have some left
now which are OK. The weather is warming up for spring now so they will not
last much longer, they will either shoot or rot or both. So three weeks is
way too conservative and more than 5 months would require temperature
controlled conditions that I don't have.

David