Old 23-09-2010, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Storing Sweet Potatoes

We planted sweet potatoes for the first time this year and had a
bumper crop. I googled about how long they could be stored and got
answers ranging from three weeks to eight months. Has anyone had
experience with this?

Paul
Old 23-09-2010, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
We planted sweet potatoes for the first time this year and had a
bumper crop. I googled about how long they could be stored and got
answers ranging from three weeks to eight months. Has anyone had
experience with this?

Paul

I have been growing them for some years and trying various storage methods.
You need a cool dry place, not cold like a refrigerator but cool. I grow
them in summer and harvest in autumn when the frost has just knocked them
down or will soon. So they are dug about mid May. I still have some left
now which are OK. The weather is warming up for spring now so they will not
last much longer, they will either shoot or rot or both. So three weeks is
way too conservative and more than 5 months would require temperature
controlled conditions that I don't have.

David

Old 23-09-2010, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Pavel314 wrote:
We planted sweet potatoes for the first time this year and had a
bumper crop. I googled about how long they could be stored and got
answers ranging from three weeks to eight months. Has anyone had
experience with this?

Paul

I have been growing them for some years and trying various storage
methods. You need a cool dry place, not cold like a refrigerator but cool.
I grow them in summer and harvest in autumn when the frost has just
knocked them down or will soon. So they are dug about mid May. I still
have some left now which are OK. The weather is warming up for spring now
so they will not last much longer, they will either shoot or rot or both.
So three weeks is way too conservative and more than 5 months would
require temperature controlled conditions that I don't have.

David

My experience is much the same as Davids. If you do not have a cool storage
area, wash the sweet potatoes, bake in the skins and freeze in bags. I find
them to be good up to a year prepared this way.

Congrats on your crop, I haven't dug into mine yet but the vines have run
10-12 feet.
Steve

Old 23-09-2010, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Don't forget the vines can be treated like spinach.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

Old 23-09-2010, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Wow, no kidding? All those years & all that wasted food, got a recipe?

Old 23-09-2010, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

http://www.google.com/search?q=sweet...ecipies&ie=utf
-8&oe=utf-

Amazing world is it not? I'd still stand with thinking of them as
spinach or malabar spinach.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%20malabar%20spinach&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old 24-09-2010, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Many thanks, Bill. I actually teach an edible plants class, but the sweet
potato vine had eluded my notice. New culinary delights await!

Old 24-09-2010, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 23, 11:19*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
"Bill who putters" wrote in ...

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

potato vine had eluded my notice. New culinary delights await!- Hide quoted text -

I mentioned this to my wife, who feels that eating sweet potatoe
greens is going a bit too far. However, I plan to nibble a few this
weekend, just to see what they're like. If I like them, maybe I can
convince her to put some in the salad. Or at least throw them over the
fence to the sheep. And thanks to everyone for their storage
suggestions.

Paul
Old 24-09-2010, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
"Bill who putters" wrote:

Don't forget the vines can be treated like spinach.

Wow, no kidding? All those years & all that wasted food, got a recipe?

Amazing. I looked them up in wikipedia (with the usual caveat that the
error rate on wikipedia is lower than in printed encyclopedias) to see
how they are catagorized.

Before looking them up I thought they were with tomatos and potatos in
the nightshade family. Nightshade leaves tend to be toxic sometimes
very poisonous.

It turns out the sweet potato isn't even in the same family as the
nightshades. It's in the same order but not the same family. Non-toxic
leaves commonly fed to livestock.
Old 27-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Registered User

I have also referred it couple of times. List of Nightshades vegetables are so common in the food calendar is unknowingly consume all the time. You are an expert in Nightshade plants, even if you do not recognize the term. Also known as the potato family, these plants contain poisons that attack the nervous system, joints, brain and even cause cancer.

Old 29-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Registered User

Wow, I had no idea the green were actually edible. Will certainly try that recipe mentioned above or another one...
That's why I like the internet...you never know what you'll find ;-)
Old 25-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered User

My experience is similar to Davis. If you do not have storage area, wash sweet potatoes, baked in the skin and freezing bags. I think they are good up to a year to prepare the case.
Old 26-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Registered User

We planted sweet potatoes for the first time this year, there is a Harvest. Searched how long they can store and access The answer from three weeks to eight months.
Pond Kits

storing potatoes hillier United Kingdom 4 09-08-2005 12:14 PM
storing potatoes Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 3 28-05-2005 03:45 PM
Storing Potatoes? [email protected] United Kingdom 2 10-10-2003 09:13 AM
storing potatoes miklol United Kingdom 1 31-07-2003 07:33 PM
Storing early potatoes John Towill United Kingdom 1 28-07-2003 06:13 PM