Old 23-09-2010, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Advice on building a patio??

On 23/09/2010 13:22, Donnie wrote:
Hi all, right, am on a budget as Im not working at the moment so
managed to get a load of patio slabs off freecycle (60cm x 60cm x 5cm)
so proper big 'uns!

Problem is that the area I need to do is fairly deep, long story where
the soil was redistributed some years ago and this area became
neglected. (Pic 1)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...s/IMG_9890.jpg

So, luckily, also on freecycle, managed to get some hardcore material
(2nd pic)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...dbobs/IMG_9892.
jpg which is basically someone elses slabs broken up, which will help
bring it all up to a decent level I hope.

So, given what I have already my plan is to get the hardcore sorted to
a decent level then use sand before putting the proper slabs on?

Anyone see any problems with this plan at all??

This area will be used as a bit of harstanding and storage in the
backyard, possibly even for storage of the trailer tent, if that makes
any difference

I'm not an expert and certainly not a builder, but I do know it's very
important not to bury your damp proof course (dpc). You really need to
have a minimum of two bricks above the finished level of your patio.
Also, it is good practice to lay the patio so that any run-off (rain,
plant-watering spillage, drains away from the house onto a lawn or
planted area.

You also need to decide whether you're grouting the slabs or butting
them up close together. Allowing 1/2" to 1" for grouting can make a big
difference to the size of the finished patio. It also helps when laying
the slabs, to lay a dry mix of sand/cement/plasticiser (sorry, don't
remember the quantities). You can fiddle about with the levels, get
everything laid (or a section at a time), then wait for rain to set the
mix. If you're impatient, you can use a watering can, but I doubt
you'll have to wait long for rain at this time of year! Indeed, there
may even be enough moisture in the ground to start off the process.

Another useful tip is to consider your future requirements before you
start. If you think that, one day, you may want electricity in the
garden (for a greenhouse or pond pump, say) then it would be wise to
design that in now, so you don't have to break up the patio in the
future. Similarly, an underground water pipe for a stand pipe at the
bottom of the garden would be best laid now.

You may find it helps to google on patio laying, as there are some
helpful sites around.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London