Old 23-09-2010, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice on building a patio??

Hi all, right, am on a budget as Im not working at the moment so
managed to get a load of patio slabs off freecycle (60cm x 60cm x 5cm)
so proper big 'uns!

Problem is that the area I need to do is fairly deep, long story where
the soil was redistributed some years ago and this area became
neglected. (Pic 1)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...s/IMG_9890.jpg

So, luckily, also on freecycle, managed to get some hardcore material
(2nd pic)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...dbobs/IMG_9892.
jpg which is basically someone elses slabs broken up, which will help
bring it all up to a decent level I hope.

So, given what I have already my plan is to get the hardcore sorted to
a decent level then use sand before putting the proper slabs on?

Anyone see any problems with this plan at all??

This area will be used as a bit of harstanding and storage in the
backyard, possibly even for storage of the trailer tent, if that makes
any difference

--
Donnie
Old 23-09-2010, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donnie" wrote in message
[...]

I would allow for about 2" thickness of sand for bedding down the slabs. I
would mix this with a shovelful of cement for every 12 of sand and also
make it a bit wet with a squirt of Fairy liquid in the water. This will make
the sandmix pliable for bedding down the slabs. That is, you make the
sandmix bed a little higher than you need , plonk on the slab and tap it
down to the required level. Using dry sand will be more difficult as it
won't flow out of the way so readily. Also space them a little to allow for
pointing which looks neater and doesn't encourage weeds.

Also give it a slight fall away from the house, an inch or two across the
whole job will do.

mark

Old 23-09-2010, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donnie wrote:

Hi all, right, am on a budget as Im not working at the moment so
managed to get a load of patio slabs off freecycle (60cm x 60cm x 5cm)
so proper big 'uns!

The best source of information on the subject is:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 23-09-2010, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donnie" wrote in message
Hi all, right, am on a budget as Im not working at the moment so
managed to get a load of patio slabs off freecycle (60cm x 60cm x 5cm)
so proper big 'uns!

Problem is that the area I need to do is fairly deep, long story where
the soil was redistributed some years ago and this area became
neglected. (Pic 1)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...s/IMG_9890.jpg

So, luckily, also on freecycle, managed to get some hardcore material
(2nd pic)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...dbobs/IMG_9892.
jpg which is basically someone elses slabs broken up, which will help
bring it all up to a decent level I hope.

So, given what I have already my plan is to get the hardcore sorted to
a decent level then use sand before putting the proper slabs on?

Anyone see any problems with this plan at all??

Your links don't seem to work Donnie.

The crucial thing with any hardstanding is the hardcore. If it is just big
lumps, you will never get it to compact properly and hollow patches will
occur in a year or two. It should be proper broken stone with fine stuff as
well as coarse lumps (builders merchants call it 'crusher run' or
'aggregate') and it will need compacting down very hard with a thumper of
some sort. Finish off with a layer of sand as Mark suggests.

HTH
R.

Old 23-09-2010, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/09/2010 13:22, Donnie wrote:
[...]

I'm not an expert and certainly not a builder, but I do know it's very
important not to bury your damp proof course (dpc). You really need to
have a minimum of two bricks above the finished level of your patio.
Also, it is good practice to lay the patio so that any run-off (rain,
plant-watering spillage, drains away from the house onto a lawn or
planted area.

You also need to decide whether you're grouting the slabs or butting
them up close together. Allowing 1/2" to 1" for grouting can make a big
difference to the size of the finished patio. It also helps when laying
the slabs, to lay a dry mix of sand/cement/plasticiser (sorry, don't
remember the quantities). You can fiddle about with the levels, get
everything laid (or a section at a time), then wait for rain to set the
mix. If you're impatient, you can use a watering can, but I doubt
you'll have to wait long for rain at this time of year! Indeed, there
may even be enough moisture in the ground to start off the process.

Another useful tip is to consider your future requirements before you
start. If you think that, one day, you may want electricity in the
garden (for a greenhouse or pond pump, say) then it would be wise to
design that in now, so you don't have to break up the patio in the
future. Similarly, an underground water pipe for a stand pipe at the
bottom of the garden would be best laid now.

You may find it helps to google on patio laying, as there are some
helpful sites around.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 23-09-2010, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cheers all for the replies, very useful, some i had an inkling of some
not and that site suggested is great!!

I'll be getting some excercise sorting out some of the rubble too as
it's all pretty much too chunky at the moment so good job i have a
sledgehammer!!

--
Donnie
Old 23-09-2010, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...andbobs/IMG_98...

So, luckily, also on freecycle, managed to get some hardcore material
(2nd pic)http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...dbobs/IMG_9892.
jpg which is basically someone elses slabs broken up, which will help
bring it all up to a decent level I hope.

So, given what I have already my plan is to get the hardcore sorted to
a decent level then use sand before putting the proper slabs on?

Anyone see any problems with this plan at all??

This area will be used as a bit of harstanding and storage in the
backyard, possibly even for storage of the trailer tent, if that makes
any difference

--
Donnie

Further to the above, you will need to get rid of any topsoil before
you put down your rubble. You will need some finer stuff to top it
off. If you are energetic you can smash up some of your old paviours &
top off with re-cycled hard core (this is the cheapest), see what's
available locally. Compacting it down will be your major problem/
expense and sand to lay your slabs on.
Old 23-09-2010, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/09/2010 16:40, Donnie wrote:
Cheers all for the replies, very useful, some i had an inkling of some
not and that site suggested is great!!

I'll be getting some excercise sorting out some of the rubble too as
it's all pretty much too chunky at the moment so good job i have a
sledgehammer!!

I bedded mine on just sharp sand 20 odd years ago, without any serious
compacting of the hardcore, and they have been 100% stable.
I had to lift a few recently when a hollyhock self seeded, grew to 14
feet, and sent roots outwards to a similar distance (fortunately just
below the surface). How it got its nutrients from sand I have no idea,
but it certainly was a handsome specimen.
Old 24-09-2010, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Chris J Dixon
writes

The best source of information on the subject is:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

Chris

Ah good old Cormaic, i miss his posts!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/09/2010 15:54, Spider wrote:
[...]

Also lay the slabs on about 40 - 50mm of sharp sand.