Old 23-09-2010, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Advice on building a patio??

On 23 Sep, 13:22, "Donnie" wrote:
Hi all, right, am on a budget as Im not working at the moment so
managed to get a load of patio slabs off freecycle (60cm x 60cm x 5cm)
so proper big 'uns!

Problem is that the area I need to do is fairly deep, long story where
the soil was redistributed some years ago and this area became
neglected. (Pic 1)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...andbobs/IMG_98...

So, luckily, also on freecycle, managed to get some hardcore material
(2nd pic)http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...dbobs/IMG_9892.
jpg which is basically someone elses slabs broken up, which will help
bring it all up to a decent level I hope.

So, given what I have already my plan is to get the hardcore sorted to
a decent level then use sand before putting the proper slabs on?

Anyone see any problems with this plan at all??

This area will be used as a bit of harstanding and storage in the
backyard, possibly even for storage of the trailer tent, if that makes
any difference

--
Donnie

Further to the above, you will need to get rid of any topsoil before
you put down your rubble. You will need some finer stuff to top it
off. If you are energetic you can smash up some of your old paviours &
top off with re-cycled hard core (this is the cheapest), see what's
available locally. Compacting it down will be your major problem/
expense and sand to lay your slabs on.