Old 24-09-2010, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default Mulch containers.

"DogDiesel" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
DogDiesel wrote:
Hello,

I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are
falling. . And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass.
Think 55 gallon barrel bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and
put
them on the garden next spring. Or do I have to make a mulch
container. I think I can get 4 bags of grass when I mow. I was
thinking of tying 4 pallets together if I have to make a container.

Compost needs air and water to help in the decomposition of the compost.
If you want something cheap and I would go with a single wire bin.
Chicken wire works but can be hard to handle. When time to turn, remove
wire and place next to it and give those arms a good workout. However,
depending on that pile and your health, a grass mask may be needed.

I used the 4 pallet bins for years. One nice thing is that you can
just
remove the front pallet to turn the compost or empty the bin. The
pallets
will decompose after a few years and need to be replaced, which is
not a
big deal because they are always available free, although disposing
of the
remains may be a hassle.

Not for me. I go camping and take a truckload of wood to burn.
Pallets
would be just fine

All you have to do is tie the top corners together. The bottoms stay
put,
in my experience.

Sweet.

I cheat, one large open pile and use the John Deer's front loader to
turn the pile and use the front loader to disperse it in the spring.
Guilty of using a little extra carbon fuel, so their is some quilt here.
No plastic, wire or treated wood pallets though. Takes less than five
minutes to turn.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)