Old 22-09-2010, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mulch containers.

Hello,

I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are falling. .
And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass. Think 55 gallon barrel
bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and put them on the garden next
spring. Or do I have to make a mulch container. I think I can get 4 bags of
grass when I mow. I was thinking of tying 4 pallets together if I have to
make a container.

Old 23-09-2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
Hello,

I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are
falling. . And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass. Think
55 gallon barrel bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and put them
on the garden next spring. Or do I have to make a mulch container. I
think I can get 4 bags of grass when I mow. I was thinking of tying 4
pallets together if I have to make a container.

I use chicken wire (actually the larger 1.5" grid wire) for the compost
bins. 99% of the grass and leaves stay in the bin.
Many years ago Dad used to use bricks(cinder blocks) to build a pen,
worked as well.

Cheers

Old 23-09-2010, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
Hello,

I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are falling.
. And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass. Think 55 gallon
barrel bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and put them on the garden
next spring. Or do I have to make a mulch container. I think I can get 4
bags of grass when I mow. I was thinking of tying 4 pallets together if
I have to make a container.

Can you buy hay where you live? If you can, 4 bales of hay set with just
each corner touching each other will be a great place to put this mix. By
next Spring you'll have the mulch you mowed and mulch from the bales which
will have turned quietly to a good mulching material. And they age to a
nice grey unlike man made objects in the garden.

Old 23-09-2010, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
Hello,

I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are falling.
. And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass. Think 55 gallon
barrel bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and put them on the garden
next spring. Or do I have to make a mulch container. I think I can get 4
bags of grass when I mow. I was thinking of tying 4 pallets together if
I have to make a container.

Can you buy hay where you live? If you can, 4 bales of hay set with just
each corner touching each other will be a great place to put this mix. By
next Spring you'll have the mulch you mowed and mulch from the bales which
will have turned quietly to a good mulching material. And they age to a
nice grey unlike man made objects in the garden.

OOOHHHH !!! awesome. I was going to buy Hay for spring anyways. Thank
You.

Diesel.

Old 23-09-2010, 12:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote in message

I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are
falling. . And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass. Think
55 gallon barrel bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and put them on
the garden next spring. Or do I have to make a mulch container. I think
I can get 4 bags of grass when I mow. I was thinking of tying 4
pallets together if I have to make a container.

Can you buy hay where you live? If you can, 4 bales of hay set with just
each corner touching each other will be a great place to put this mix.
By next Spring you'll have the mulch you mowed and mulch from the bales
which will have turned quietly to a good mulching material. And they age
to a nice grey unlike man made objects in the garden.

OOOHHHH !!! awesome. I was going to buy Hay for spring anyways. Thank
You.

:-)) Glad to be of help. I've been spreading some of my well aged bales of
hay today - nicely matured with lots of worms in the section sitting on the
ground.

Old 23-09-2010, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

u...
"DogDiesel" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote in message

[...]

I thought the grey on hay was mold . Is that ok?

Old 23-09-2010, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DogDiesel wrote:
Hello,

I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are
falling. . And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass.
Think 55 gallon barrel bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and put
them on the garden next spring. Or do I have to make a mulch
container. I think I can get 4 bags of grass when I mow. I was
thinking of tying 4 pallets together if I have to make a container.

I used the 4 pallet bins for years. One nice thing is that you can just remove
the front pallet to turn the compost or empty the bin. The pallets will
decompose after a few years and need to be replaced, which is not a big deal
because they are always available free, although disposing of the remains may be
a hassle.

All you have to do is tie the top corners together. The bottoms stay put, in my
experience.

Old 23-09-2010, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
u...
"DogDiesel" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote in message

[...]

Mould could be grey but unlikely. When I say that it ages to grey, I mean
that the exterior of the bale goes the colour of old untreated wood. It's
never happened, in my experience, that this grey outer surface will be
mould. But if you suspect it is, wear a mask when you spread it so you
dont' inhale the spores.

Old 23-09-2010, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bob F" wrote in message
DogDiesel wrote:
Hello,

I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are
falling. . And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass.
Think 55 gallon barrel bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and put
them on the garden next spring. Or do I have to make a mulch
container. I think I can get 4 bags of grass when I mow. I was
thinking of tying 4 pallets together if I have to make a container.

I used the 4 pallet bins for years. One nice thing is that you can just
remove the front pallet to turn the compost or empty the bin. The pallets
will decompose after a few years and need to be replaced, which is not a
big deal because they are always available free, although disposing of the
remains may be a hassle.

Not for me. I go camping and take a truckload of wood to burn. Pallets
would be just fine

All you have to do is tie the top corners together. The bottoms stay put,
in my experience.

Sweet.

Old 24-09-2010, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
DogDiesel wrote:
Hello,

I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are
falling. . And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass.
Think 55 gallon barrel bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and
put
them on the garden next spring. Or do I have to make a mulch
container. I think I can get 4 bags of grass when I mow. I was
thinking of tying 4 pallets together if I have to make a container.

Compost needs air and water to help in the decomposition of the compost.
If you want something cheap and I would go with a single wire bin.
Chicken wire works but can be hard to handle. When time to turn, remove
wire and place next to it and give those arms a good workout. However,
depending on that pile and your health, a grass mask may be needed.

I used the 4 pallet bins for years. One nice thing is that you can
just
remove the front pallet to turn the compost or empty the bin. The
pallets
will decompose after a few years and need to be replaced, which is
not a
big deal because they are always available free, although disposing
of the
remains may be a hassle.

Not for me. I go camping and take a truckload of wood to burn.
Pallets
would be just fine

All you have to do is tie the top corners together. The bottoms stay
put,
in my experience.

Sweet.

I cheat, one large open pile and use the John Deer's front loader to
turn the pile and use the front loader to disperse it in the spring.
Guilty of using a little extra carbon fuel, so their is some quilt here.
No plastic, wire or treated wood pallets though. Takes less than five
minutes to turn.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Old 24-09-2010, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 22, 6:42*pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
Hello,

*I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are falling. .
And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass. Think 55 gallon barrel
bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and put them on the garden next
spring. Or do I have to make a mulch container. I think I can get 4 bags of
grass when I mow. I was thinking of tying 4 pallets together if I have to
make a container.

Why not just mulch the garden with it? Is it too much to spread 4 or
so inches thick?
Old 24-09-2010, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message
Hello,

I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are falling.
. And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass. Think 55 gallon
barrel bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and put them on the garden
next spring. Or do I have to make a mulch container. I think I can get 4
bags of grass when I mow. I was thinking of tying 4 pallets together if I
have to make a container.

You can leave the stuff in bags and just add it as you need it--I've done
that before when neighbors give us dozens of bags of leaves. Some of it
will be moldy after time, but that's fine. If you want to compost, pallets
are a good idea to hold it in, though I use three wired together instead of
four, with one side open to make it easier to turn the stuff and get it out.
--S.

Old 25-09-2010, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

.
And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass. Think 55 gallon
barrel
bag size. Can I leave them in the bags and put them on the garden next
spring. Or do I have to make a mulch container. I think I can get 4 bags
of
grass when I mow. I was thinking of tying 4 pallets together if I have to
make a container.

Why not just mulch the garden with it? Is it too much to spread 4 or
so inches thick?

No its not that much. I think the wind is gonna blow it everywhere.