Old 24-09-2010, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Storing Sweet Potatoes

Steve Peek wrote:
"Bill who putters" wrote:

Don't forget the vines can be treated like spinach.

Wow, no kidding? All those years & all that wasted food, got a recipe?

Amazing. I looked them up in wikipedia (with the usual caveat that the
error rate on wikipedia is lower than in printed encyclopedias) to see
how they are catagorized.

Before looking them up I thought they were with tomatos and potatos in
the nightshade family. Nightshade leaves tend to be toxic sometimes
very poisonous.

It turns out the sweet potato isn't even in the same family as the
nightshades. It's in the same order but not the same family. Non-toxic
leaves commonly fed to livestock.