Old 26-09-2010, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Potato plant stem problem

Lordspudz said:

Hi all

Yesterday we had some strong winds which have flattened the stems of my
potato plants (main crop growing in bags). It looks as though they've
been damaged to the point where they won't straighten up again even if
they were tied to stakes.

The plants have flowers on them of which some have opened and others
are
about to open. Would it affect the potatoes in any way if I cut the
stems back or has the damage already been done?

I's suggest only cutting back any stems that are very clearly so damaged that
the foliage is above is dead or clearly dying (rather than wilting during the
day and recovering at night). Save what can be saved.

Keep an eagle eye out for blight or fungus -- the injuries to the plants create
opportunities for infection.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored