Old 28-09-2010, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I'm sorry but food is a political issue

lencoo12 wrote:
'Dan L.[_2_ Wrote:
;900474']In article
,
Bill who putters
wrote:
-
'TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL'
(
http://preview.tinyurl.com/27ldgob)

or

'Food Politics: How the Food Industry ... - Google Books'
(http://tinyurl.com/2uch3kd)
d+politics&source=bl&ots=4rU9bKzNwB&sig=_rGXfRoSMn JragGHmKS4cuC1oJ8&hl=en
&ei=jyiSTJiYL8K78gb8semiBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct= result&resnum=3&ved=0CD
MQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Seems some folks want to control what we eat and how we eat. I think

that stinks.

Don't like it eat some artificial crab meat.

'Mystery Meat: Imitation Crab | Mark's Daily Apple'
(http://tinyurl.com/cwzstd)-

Nothing to Apologize about. Someday gardens are trees maybe not
needed. Just like in the movie classic, "Silent Running" with Bruce
Dern.
In that movie the entire planet consumed artificial foods.

Also the "high fructose corn syrup" to be renamed "Corn Sugar".
'Corn syrup producers want sweeter name: Corn sugar - USATODAY.com'
(http://tinyurl.com/2asexss)

Sounds much nicer

--
Enjoy Life... Dan
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

It would be a misnomer as corn sugar is glucose.
High fructose corn syrup is something else but is functionally
identical
to sucrose when put in the high acid environment of sodas.
Food police should bitch about something real.

We went through this with Frank. If you can show some evidence of how long
it would take sucrose to split into glucose and fructose in a soda bottle at
room temperature it would advance the discussion. This reaction is usually
done at high temperature or with enzymes involved to make it happen quickly.

Consider also that HFCS is now replaces sucrose in many other foods that are
not so acidic where sucrose was stable. So even if it is true that all the
sucrose sweetened soft drink amounted to glucose and fructose (and so
switching from sucrose to HFCS made no difference there) the intake per
capita of fructose has been rising through direct replacement of sucrose
with HFCS in other foods. As Billy points out there is a growing body of
evidence that this is not good for us.

David