Old 28-09-2010, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

Default Potato plant stem problem

On Sep 25, 1:45*pm, Lordspudz
wrote:
Hi all

Yesterday we had some strong winds which have flattened the stems of my
potato plants (main crop growing in bags). It looks as though they've
been damaged to the point where they won't straighten up again even if
they were tied to stakes.

The plants have flowers on them of which some have opened and others are
about to open. Would it affect the potatoes in any way if I cut the
stems back or has the damage already been done?

Any help much appreciated.

Lordspudz

--
Lordspudz

Lordspudz,

It's a shame what the weather can do to our plants. My only suggestion
would at least try stakes and see if they hold up better in the wind.