Old 30-09-2010, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Walnut tree

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
walnuts fresh off a tree are out-of-this-world

only ate them a couple of times as a kid

but still get a warm glow out the remembered taste

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

My experience of fresh walnuts is they are difficult to shell and need 2
or 3 months drying time. Now collecting this years crop as they are
dropping off by the bucket load.
They impart a lot of what I suppose is tannin. Gloves necessary unless you
like brown hands.

My experience of walnuts is they are at the best as they fall from the tree.

It is a real pain trying to pick them up though, I have a bad back and it is
painfull having to bend over, I have collected about 4 carrier bags full so
far and there are more to come!

I don't worry about the stain on my hands it comes off eventually!

But you have to be carefull, and listen carefully as they talk to each other
and warn when someone is going to collect them, they do not like being eaten
so they whisper to each other to hide when someone is coming!

Alan

mark