Old 28-09-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Walnut tree

I am thinking of planting a walnut tree, but wonder if squirrels will eat
all the nuts. I have cob nut bushes but the nuts always disappear.

Old 28-09-2010, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Colin Hammond" wrote in message
I am thinking of planting a walnut tree, but wonder if squirrels will eat
all the nuts. I have cob nut bushes but the nuts always disappear.

I have a large walnut tree and yes the squirrels will take the nuts. Haven't
seen them up the tree but certainly on the ground hoovering up the fallen
nuts.

mark

Old 28-09-2010, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Colin Hammond wrote:
I am thinking of planting a walnut tree, but wonder if squirrels will eat
all the nuts. I have cob nut bushes but the nuts always disappear.

No. They will plant quite a lot elsewhere in your garden.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-09-2010, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Colin Hammond wrote:
I am thinking of planting a walnut tree, but wonder if squirrels will eat
all the nuts. I have cob nut bushes but the nuts always disappear.

No. They will plant quite a lot elsewhere in your garden.

Usually in the middle of the lawn.

--
Kathy

Old 28-09-2010, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 28 Sep, 18:39, "Kathy McIntosh" wrote:
wrote in ....
In article ,
Colin Hammond wrote:
I am thinking of planting a walnut tree, but wonder if squirrels will eat
all the nuts. I have cob nut bushes but the nuts always disappear.

No. *They will plant quite a lot elsewhere in your garden.

Usually in the middle of the lawn.

--
Kathy

Plant the tree for the squirrels, it's a well known fact that
Squirrels will lick their nuts but won't bite or eat them.

Old 28-09-2010, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Colin Hammond wrote:

I am thinking of planting a walnut tree, but wonder if squirrels will eat
all the nuts. I have cob nut bushes but the nuts always disappear.

Our neighbour has a walnut tree. The local squirrel brings the nuts and
leaves them in our garden. Last year he buried them, this year he just
leaves them in full view. Anyway, we don't need to buy walnuts any more,
and I have a couple of saplings into the bargain!

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 28-09-2010, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Colin Hammond" wrote in message
I am thinking of planting a walnut tree, but wonder if squirrels will eat
all the nuts. I have cob nut bushes but the nuts always disappear.

I planted a walnut tree about 35 years ago, and I wish I had had more
knowedge about the size it would grow to, I would have planted it in a
different place.

They grow about 40 feet high and 40 feet across, and yes the damned
squirrels do take a lot of the nuts but there are now so many I do get a
good supply, I'm still eating those which I collected from last year, but I
will have to give some of them away as this years are now falling.

Alan

Old 29-09-2010, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

walnuts fresh off a tree are out-of-this-world

only ate them a couple of times as a kid

but still get a warm glow out the remembered taste

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 29-09-2010, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Sep, 12:41, "Colin Hammond" wrote:
I am thinking of planting a walnut tree, but wonder if squirrels will eat
all the nuts. I have cob nut bushes but the nuts always disappear.

Yes they will. I get few nuts off mine for that reason. Cats are
faairly good at seeing them off.
Old 29-09-2010, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
alan.holmes wrote:

"Colin Hammond" wrote in message
I am thinking of planting a walnut tree, but wonder if squirrels will eat
all the nuts. I have cob nut bushes but the nuts always disappear.

I planted a walnut tree about 35 years ago, and I wish I had had more
knowedge about the size it would grow to, I would have planted it in a
different place.

They grow about 40 feet high and 40 feet across, and yes the damned
squirrels do take a lot of the nuts but there are now so many I do get a
good supply, I'm still eating those which I collected from last year, but I
will have to give some of them away as this years are now falling.

Ours don't ripen properly, but keep will if lightly roasted after
picking. I have also pruned my tree so that it has no branches for
the first 10' (yes, it's 35'+), so that the lawn grows properly
underneath.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-09-2010, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
walnuts fresh off a tree are out-of-this-world

only ate them a couple of times as a kid

but still get a warm glow out the remembered taste

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

My experience of fresh walnuts is they are difficult to shell and need 2 or
3 months drying time. Now collecting this years crop as they are dropping
off by the bucket load.
They impart a lot of what I suppose is tannin. Gloves necessary unless you
like brown hands.

mark

Old 30-09-2010, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
walnuts fresh off a tree are out-of-this-world

only ate them a couple of times as a kid

but still get a warm glow out the remembered taste

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

My experience of fresh walnuts is they are difficult to shell and need 2
or 3 months drying time. Now collecting this years crop as they are
dropping off by the bucket load.
They impart a lot of what I suppose is tannin. Gloves necessary unless you
like brown hands.

My experience of walnuts is they are at the best as they fall from the tree.

It is a real pain trying to pick them up though, I have a bad back and it is
painfull having to bend over, I have collected about 4 carrier bags full so
far and there are more to come!

I don't worry about the stain on my hands it comes off eventually!

But you have to be carefull, and listen carefully as they talk to each other
and warn when someone is going to collect them, they do not like being eaten
so they whisper to each other to hide when someone is coming!

Alan

mark

Old 04-10-2010, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:41:56 +0100, Colin Hammond wrote:

I am thinking of planting a walnut tree, but wonder if squirrels will
eat all the nuts. I have cob nut bushes but the nuts always disappear.

Ah! the classic chicken-and-egg situation. You need the walnut wood to
make the stock of the 12-bore that will deal with the squirrels.