Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
António Vitor

Default Need Help with a fresh planted tank...

I think the temperature of the colour at the surface of the water will only
reach 6500K, but only at 12:00 o'clock and in the equator.

I think at 10 am it will be something like 4000 Kelvin.

if we have 6000 kelvin at the surface of the water, bellow, it will get
higher kelvin, the more "blue" the spectrum of the light the more easy is to
penetrate the water.

that is why coral tanks must have higher colour temperaures. corals usually
are found at more than 5 meters depth.

"The 8800K makes the plant "think" it's deeper."
wrong, it might be because of some other variable, or because the lamp have
more usuable spectrum.

I still think the best way to judge a lamp is CRI figures, my 2 MH is only
4200 kelvin, and it looks more WHITE that some lamps at 6500 kelvin, with
lower CRI .

if we have a 6500 kelvin, but only with spikes in the green and in the blue,
and a little in the red (I am talking about spectrum), it would produce
artificial colours, it wold provide also a bad ambient for plants, and there
might be some algae that like those spikes...

most of our aquatic plants are usually anfibians, or very near surface
plants, so they get (in the equator) something like 4000 Kelvin average
temperature. that is a fact!

do you think that the light of thhe sun at 10 red?
no... because it have a 100 CRI factor

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Only anecdotal, I'm afraid. I've been talking to many people over the

years
about lighting. An often quoted opinion is that "anything above 6000 K

will
encourage algae."

I've heard that "blue light causes algae" thing, too. That's the main

knock
against actinics.

But it hasn't been a problem for me. I've tried different color bulbs,

and
find I like 10,000K daylight best (so far). Just because I like the

"white"
look of the light. I haven't noticed any difference in algae. However, I

have
noticed that plants seem to grow taller with the 8800K than with the

10000K. I
suppose that makes sense. The 10,000K are meant to simulate light at the
water's surface, while the 8800K are meant to simulate light a few feet

below
the surface. The 8800K makes the plant "think" it's deeper.

Leigh