Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Replacing bark with turf

On 1 Oct, 08:21, "pied piper" wrote:
"Greg" wrote in message

. uk... Hello, new to this group,had a quick peak at the faq and found loads of
good advice.

I want to lay an area of approx 64sq of turf on a previously wood barked
back garden . After shifting all the bark I am left with a very heavy
clayey foundation,now I read in the faq I will need to dig in plenty of
sharp sand,but my question is can the well used bark be dug back in also
along with a few bags of multi purpose compost ?

My location is in east yorkshire, thanks in advance.

Greg

No bark will do u no favours hire a rotovator smash it with that then add
sand shingle if u can get it gypsum * good luck

Remember if you use a rotovator you will be forming a harder pan at
the bottom as the blades rub along the bottom of the cut, not good if
you are on clay.