Old 22-09-2010, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacing bark with turf

Hello, new to this group,had a quick peak at the faq and found loads of good
advice.

I want to lay an area of approx 64sq of turf on a previously wood barked
back garden . After shifting all the bark I am left with a very heavy clayey
foundation,now I read in the faq I will need to dig in plenty of sharp
sand,but my question is can the well used bark be dug back in also along
with a few bags of multi purpose compost ?

My location is in east yorkshire, thanks in advance.

Greg

Old 23-09-2010, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:29:00 +0100, "Greg"
wrote:

Hello, new to this group,had a quick peak at the faq and found loads of good
advice.

I want to lay an area of approx 64sq of turf on a previously wood barked
back garden . After shifting all the bark I am left with a very heavy clayey
foundation,now I read in the faq I will need to dig in plenty of sharp
sand,but my question is can the well used bark be dug back in also along
with a few bags of multi purpose compost ?

My location is in east yorkshire, thanks in advance.

Greg

Welcome to the group. I'll assume you mean 64 square feet - if you
mean metres then hiring a rotovator is probably your best bet!

As a general rule, I wouldn't dig the bark in. As it breaks down, the
bark will draw nitrogen from the soil and that's one of the key
components for a lush green lawn. Bark is best used as a surface
dressing (in the right place) or stacked away somewhere to really rot
down when it's useful for mixing in the compost heap with loads of
grass clippings.

Equally I wouldn't bother with multi-purpose compost. It won't add
anything to the soil and if you use a lot of it, it will simply
settle, compress and you'll have a sinking lawn.

It sounds like you will need to lighten the soil a bit if it's really
heavy clay. A good quantity of coarse grit might be better than sharp
sand but difficult for us to judge this without being there.

Essentially, I would dig the soil over to about the depth of a fork,
removing any stones you find and breaking it up well. Then spread your
load of grit or sand over the surface and, working backwards (so you
don't compress the soil) turn the soil over to mix the grit or sand
in. Rake over the surface to get it level and try to avoid walking on
the soil afterwards. Get some stout long boards and use these,
including when you lay the lawn.

About a week or two before you plan to lay the turf, give the ground a
good feed with something like Growmore.

Jake
Old 23-09-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I wonder if it's practical in your particular situation to suggest
preparing the soil now, and then waiting for winter to settle it down
naturally. I'd then rake it over in the spring, get out any deep-rooted
weeds that have popped up, check for bumps and hollows, and sow seed:
far cheaper than turf, and often gives a better result. But if you don't
want a mud-patch for a few months, then of course you have to do it now.

--
Mike.

Old 24-09-2010, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jake & Mike, will take on board your suggestions, seems like good
advice, and the garden is 24 ft by 24ft which I think converts to 64sq
yards so I think I will hire that rotovator.

Greg

Old 01-10-2010, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Greg" wrote in message
. uk...
Hello, new to this group,had a quick peak at the faq and found loads of
good advice.

I want to lay an area of approx 64sq of turf on a previously wood barked
back garden . After shifting all the bark I am left with a very heavy
clayey foundation,now I read in the faq I will need to dig in plenty of
sharp sand,but my question is can the well used bark be dug back in also
along with a few bags of multi purpose compost ?

My location is in east yorkshire, thanks in advance.

Greg

No bark will do u no favours hire a rotovator smash it with that then add
sand shingle if u can get it gypsum good luck

Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 1 Oct, 08:21, "pied piper" wrote:
"Greg" wrote in message

. uk... Hello, new to this group,had a quick peak at the faq and found loads of
good advice.

I want to lay an area of approx 64sq of turf on a previously wood barked
back garden . After shifting all the bark I am left with a very heavy
clayey foundation,now I read in the faq I will need to dig in plenty of
sharp sand,but my question is can the well used bark be dug back in also
along with a few bags of multi purpose compost ?

My location is in east yorkshire, thanks in advance.

Greg

No bark will do u no favours hire a rotovator smash it with that then add
sand shingle if u can get it gypsum * good luck

Remember if you use a rotovator you will be forming a harder pan at
the bottom as the blades rub along the bottom of the cut, not good if
you are on clay.

Snake bark maple - dead bark kay United Kingdom 8 24-05-2010 09:32 AM
Replacing an old lawn with turf GardenCadet Lawns 4 01-10-2006 10:52 AM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM