Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Toggle Fixing Problem

"andy" wrote
Has anyone had the same problem as me with toggle fixings for
plasterboard ..... the toggle springs out at the back of board to lie
alongside the screw thread i.e. the two wings don't open out equally
so that when you tighten the screw the fixing is pulled back through
the hole !
The fixings were bought from Wickes so I don't know if it's a quality
issue?
I want suitable fixings for a pretty heavy bathroom mirror and
unfortunately there are no studs in the right place ....

I had the same problem with a lath and plaster wall years ago and believe it
was because I couldn't push them far enough into the wall to get them to
expand fully. Eventually found a different fixing with a rubber type tube
over the thread which expanded when the screw was tightened to grip the wall
inside. I've since seen metal type expanding grips but that may have been in
France.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden