Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Off Topic pondering yet again.

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
Seems the obesity issue is being focused on as a sloth issue. I'm not

so sure.

Consider Taubes good Calories and bad calories book.

Then that Spanish study dealing with DDE and obesity how it affects

our food.

Then there is the Mayo clinics Thyroid issues

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thy...odules/DS00491

There are other issues I'd guess. Care to add or detract. How the

Thyroid helps us handle carbs I'd guess is of great importance.

I will agree with you that obesity is not a sloth issue. It is a strong
desire to eat! Does hormones have an effect on weight, I would say yes,
However, the food industry has also made the foods tastier and more
convenient and tastier also tends towards high salt, sweet and high fat
content.

However, in my case, I do have a thyroid problem. When I was younger,
like twelve years old, my T-Cells were sky high. I had a strong desire
for salt, I could eat the stuff by the teaspoon and say yum! I was also
thin then. In my thirties i was running five miles four times a week and
in great shape. It was a secondary thyroid problem due to hypo-pituitary
problem. The pituitary controls the thyroid. Medication tends too keep
things in check. I have been taking hormone medication since the age of
thirteen. Now in my old age the thyroid has played out and now I take
thyroid medication. Now I am fat, old and decrepit, foods now taste too
salty, however I still have my hair

Your writing seems not to have suffered. My guess is thyroid issues
will be more acknowledge in the future.
I want to know what can be done to prevent thyroid damage or ameliorate.

Alarmist no just this stuff can and does hit close to home.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI