Old 09-10-2010, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Off Topic pondering yet again.

Seems the obesity issue is being focused on as a sloth issue. I'm not
so sure.

Consider Taubes good Calories and bad calories book.

Then that Spanish study dealing with DDE and obesity how it affects
our food.

Then there is the Mayo clinics Thyroid issues

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thy...odules/DS00491

There are other issues I'd guess. Care to add or detract. How the
Thyroid helps us handle carbs I'd guess is of great importance.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
Seems the obesity issue is being focused on as a sloth issue. I'm not

so sure.

Consider Taubes good Calories and bad calories book.

Then that Spanish study dealing with DDE and obesity how it affects

our food.

Then there is the Mayo clinics Thyroid issues

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thy...odules/DS00491

There are other issues I'd guess. Care to add or detract. How the

Thyroid helps us handle carbs I'd guess is of great importance.

I will agree with you that obesity is not a sloth issue. It is a strong
desire to eat! Does hormones have an effect on weight, I would say yes,
However, the food industry has also made the foods tastier and more
convenient and tastier also tends towards high salt, sweet and high fat
content.

However, in my case, I do have a thyroid problem. When I was younger,
like twelve years old, my T-Cells were sky high. I had a strong desire
for salt, I could eat the stuff by the teaspoon and say yum! I was also
thin then. In my thirties i was running five miles four times a week and
in great shape. It was a secondary thyroid problem due to hypo-pituitary
problem. The pituitary controls the thyroid. Medication tends too keep
things in check. I have been taking hormone medication since the age of
thirteen. Now in my old age the thyroid has played out and now I take
thyroid medication. Now I am fat, old and decrepit, foods now taste too
salty, however I still have my hair

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
[...]

Your writing seems not to have suffered. My guess is thyroid issues
will be more acknowledge in the future.
I want to know what can be done to prevent thyroid damage or ameliorate.

Alarmist no just this stuff can and does hit close to home.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
[...]

Prevent thyroid damage?
I am no doctor, so take this with a ton of salt.

I have heard chest Xrays can damage the thyroid. When getting a chest
Xray one should always ask for a metal plate that covers the thyroid
area when getting an Xray. The early years no one ever did cover the
thyroid when getting a chest Xray.

I know two people that had thyroid cancer. They had the thyroid removed
and MUST take their medications on a regular basis. They are still alive
and doing well ten years later. However, they must go in once in awhile
to be bleed to prevent high iron levels building up in the blood. I do
not have cancer. I do have slightly higher than normal iron levels
myself, but I do not go in for a bleeding. I do take vitamins that do
not contain extra iron.

I believe getting old plays a part. Just so many heart beats in a life.
The glands produce so many hormones before they play out. Also hormone
production seems to be interrelated with other glands. Like in my case
the pituitary is the master gland that controls other glands, like the
thyroid. Without my medication, in one year I would not have the
strength to walk and not live much longer. With the medications i live a
fairly good life. What was the cause... Unknown, just fate.

When it comes to cancer, I believe all cancers are environmental. What
we eat breath and on so on. I do not believe genetic traits cause
cancer, but genetics can be a factor that let's others get it easier.

Genetics may play apart someday in prevention, like in the movie
"Gattaca".

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message

Seems the obesity issue is being focused on as a sloth issue.

Well that can certainly be one of the reason for packing too much pork.

But I really don't see a whole of point in discussing it because it
inevitably causes someone distress.

People are the weight they are. Some people eventually figure out what is
causing it and can do something about it and do so. Others can't ever find
a solution because there isn't necessarily one.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 9, 4:28*pm, Dan L wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

[...]

Here is what I can't figure out.......................How is it that
America has the highest rate of obesity and the highest rate of hunger
at the same time?

I won't even go in to my thyroid problems of 25 years
Old 11-10-2010, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

" wrote:
On Oct 9, 4:28 pm, Dan L wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

[...]

In my opinion...

Corn and wheat are heavily subsidized by the US government. Junk foods
are cheap in the United States which are made mostly from corn and
wheat. The poor in the U.S. can receive food subsidies also. High
Fructose Corn Syrup is a very low cost sweetener, it is in everything
here. If you are poor, the unhealthy junk foods are the foods of choice.
The lowest cost meats are high in fat. Fructose does not cause an
insulin reaction, it does not satisfy that hunger urge, you want to eat
more. Sugar from cane cost more and not found as much in low cost foods,
which does cause an insulin reaction. Fresh fruits and vegetables are
not subsidized and cost a lot more. Junk foods are also not just for the
poor also. Being fat or thin in the U.S. Is not an indicator of being
wealthy. The home is a better indicator of wealth. I would also state
that hunger and poverty do not always go hand in hand here.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
" wrote:

On Oct 9, 4:28*pm, Dan L wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

[...]

Thatıs because the current farm bill helps commodity farmers by cutting
them a check based on how many bushels they can grow, rather than, say,
by supporting prices and limiting production, as farm bills once did.
The result? A food system awash in added sugars (derived from corn) and
added fats (derived mainly from soy), as well as dirt-cheap meat and
milk (derived from both). By comparison, the farm bill does almost
nothing to support farmers growing fresh produce. A result of these
policy choices is on stark display in your supermarket, where the real
price of fruits and vegetables between 1985 and 2000 increased by nearly
40 percent while the real price of soft drinks (a k a liquid corn)
declined by 23 percent. The reason the least healthful calories in the
supermarket are the cheapest is that those are the ones the farm bill
encourages farmers to grow.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/magazine/22wwlnlede.t.html

I won't even go in to my thyroid problems of 25 years

--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:

There are other issues I'd guess. Care to add or detract. How the
Thyroid helps us handle carbs I'd guess is of great importance.

T3 output drops after two weeks of very low calorie and/or very low carb
dieting. That gives a definite relationship between low carbing and
reduced thyroid output. It's why any good low carb plan only stays very
low for two weeks (with assorted caveats).
Old 11-10-2010, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article a21f2dce-3958-40f9-b544-df3897e51c79
@c16g2000vbp.googlegroups.com, says...

Here is what I can't figure out.......................How is it that
America has the highest rate of obesity and the highest rate of hunger
at the same time?

You pose the question in a way that suggests you know the answer.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
[...]

My wife was in a car accident about a month ago. Waiting at an
intersection when an accident occurred. Her side view came in and hit
her in the face. Much glass and cuts. Sent to hospital where a cat
scan said she was OK. Three weeks later looking at the scan the Doc's
said nodules on the thyroid and should be checked out. This why my
thyroid interest.
Ingrid is 63 but due to a nasty burn on her chin age 3 she was
irradiated on her chin as standard procedure 50 years ago. Pulled an
Iron that hit her while her mom was ironing.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/

Old 11-10-2010, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
[...]

Hope for the best and things go well.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Old 12-10-2010, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

-

Here is what I can't figure out.......................How is it that
America has the highest rate of obesity and the highest rate of hunger
at the same time?
-

You pose the question in a way that suggests you know the answer.

I will agree with you that obesity is not a sloth issue. It is a
strong
desire to eat! Does hormones have an effect on weight, I would say
yes,
However, the food industry has also made the foods tastier and more
convenient and tastier also tends towards high salt, sweet and high

------

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/a...dex.xml?sectio
n=topstories

A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn
syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

Posted March 22, 2010; 10:00 a.m.

by Hilary Parker
A Princeton University research team has demonstrated that all
sweeteners are not equal when it comes to weight gain: Rats with access
to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those
with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was
the same.*