Old 09-10-2010, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default Off Topic pondering yet again.

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
Seems the obesity issue is being focused on as a sloth issue. I'm
not

so sure.

Consider Taubes good Calories and bad calories book.

Then that Spanish study dealing with DDE and obesity how it
affects

our food.

Then there is the Mayo clinics Thyroid issues

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thy...odules/DS00491

There are other issues I'd guess. Care to add or detract. How
the

Thyroid helps us handle carbs I'd guess is of great importance.

I will agree with you that obesity is not a sloth issue. It is a
strong
desire to eat! Does hormones have an effect on weight, I would say
yes,
However, the food industry has also made the foods tastier and more
convenient and tastier also tends towards high salt, sweet and high
fat
content.

However, in my case, I do have a thyroid problem. When I was younger,
like twelve years old, my T-Cells were sky high. I had a strong
desire
for salt, I could eat the stuff by the teaspoon and say yum! I was
also
thin then. In my thirties i was running five miles four times a week
and
in great shape. It was a secondary thyroid problem due to
hypo-pituitary
problem. The pituitary controls the thyroid. Medication tends too
keep
things in check. I have been taking hormone medication since the age
of
thirteen. Now in my old age the thyroid has played out and now I take
thyroid medication. Now I am fat, old and decrepit, foods now taste
too
salty, however I still have my hair

Your writing seems not to have suffered. My guess is thyroid issues
will be more acknowledge in the future.
I want to know what can be done to prevent thyroid damage or
ameliorate.

Alarmist no just this stuff can and does hit close to home.

Prevent thyroid damage?
I am no doctor, so take this with a ton of salt.

I have heard chest Xrays can damage the thyroid. When getting a chest
Xray one should always ask for a metal plate that covers the thyroid
area when getting an Xray. The early years no one ever did cover the
thyroid when getting a chest Xray.

I know two people that had thyroid cancer. They had the thyroid removed
and MUST take their medications on a regular basis. They are still alive
and doing well ten years later. However, they must go in once in awhile
to be bleed to prevent high iron levels building up in the blood. I do
not have cancer. I do have slightly higher than normal iron levels
myself, but I do not go in for a bleeding. I do take vitamins that do
not contain extra iron.

I believe getting old plays a part. Just so many heart beats in a life.
The glands produce so many hormones before they play out. Also hormone
production seems to be interrelated with other glands. Like in my case
the pituitary is the master gland that controls other glands, like the
thyroid. Without my medication, in one year I would not have the
strength to walk and not live much longer. With the medications i live a
fairly good life. What was the cause... Unknown, just fate.

When it comes to cancer, I believe all cancers are environmental. What
we eat breath and on so on. I do not believe genetic traits cause
cancer, but genetics can be a factor that let's others get it easier.

Genetics may play apart someday in prevention, like in the movie
"Gattaca".

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)