Old 14-10-2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default "Hardening off" potato eyes

On Oct 13, 6:57*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
I had always been taught that it's good to "harden off" potato eyes
before planting. *Does anyone have comments about whether this is true/
false and *(b) how long harden off before planting?

Next: *Is there any harm in eating the rest of the potato after
removing the eye and accompanying meat? *I have done so & survived,
but wonder if there is a problem.

TIA

We never hardened off, but as I recall, we dabbed the cut sides with sulfur.

What rest? *We always cut the potato in chunks with at least one eye and
all the "meat" still attached. *Doesn't the plant use the "meat" for
nutrition and moisture until the green sprouts appear above ground?

gloria p

We're on the same page. I also leave a lot of "meat" for the reason
you state, but there's still a lot of potato left -- to eat or not to
eat. As I say, I have survived...g