Old 15-10-2010, 05:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Help regarding flowering tree

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Trish Brown wrote:
Loosecanon wrote:

D'ya think I'm being too fussy with my requirements???

My experience with trees (single trunk) is they don't flower longer
than a month or so. So I think you would be better to have something
that looks nice even when it is not flowering. So like a gingko with
it's leaves. A crepe myrtle with it's trunk, autumn leaves and
flowers. A dracanea draco for it's awesome looks. But remember to
look how big things grow. The roots will go out twice as far as the
height. You may be restricted if it becomes boggy some trees will
drown. Pecans won't but it grows to a great height!

Thank you, loosecannon! Ginkgo wins! Hadn't thought of that... ;-D

How long do you have? They are very slow growing, known as the
grandfather tree in some places because the person who plants it isn't
likely to enjoy it.

David

Well, as luck would have it, I happen to have a well-advanced Ginkgo in
a large pot! I was superstitious about planting it out because I thought
we might have to move house again. That was fifteen years ago, though,
so I guess I could conceivably plant the poor dear with impugnity. Of
course, pot-life has restricted the growth of the tree, but I don't mind
that. I assume she'll be off and away once in the ground - such a pretty
thing and why didn't I think of putting her in the empty spot in the
first place? Duh! I'm even starting to wonder whether I could artfully
espalier the tree against the fence.

Hmmm... off I go to ponder... ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}