Old 16-10-2010, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Fence Height

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 17:46:51 +0100, "Pete"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
.. .

I'd be worried that the trellis, being obviously weaker than the
fence, might attract the vandal element walking along the footpath and
might get pulled down from the other side. As Shazzbat and Vicky point
out, apart from that risk, the weight of a climber would probably pull
the trellis down anyway. If you did want to to something, I'd suggest
getting the strong square type of trellis (rather than weaker diamond
types) and then fixing longer fence posts to your existing fence posts
(drill right through and bolt them together) and attaching the trellis
to that.

Given the time it could take a climber to grow anyway, have you
considered planting some shrubs against the fence? Some will happily
grow to 8 feet in a few years and you could then add some climbing
roses, for example, to grow up through the shrubs for added interest.

I'm not making suggestions for shrubs as you don't say where you are
and how much space in front of/length of fence you have.

Agreed about the type of trellis, but increasing the height of the fence
posting
would be inadvisable.

Bolting through the trellis verticals and the existing( if wooden ) posts
would be better.

O.K. there will be overlapping -but that will just add to the rigidity.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

That's what I meant, but didn't express it properly. So Pete and I
agree.

Jake