Old 16-10-2010, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fence Height

Hi,

I was looking to plant some climbers to help add some height to a fence, the
fence itself is around 6 foot hight but to give it a bit more am I within my
rights to tack on a small bit of trellis to the inside of the fence to give
them something to hang on to? If it helps it's a non-shared fence i.e.
there's a footpath on the other side rather than someone else's garden.

Thanks

Old 16-10-2010, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Endulini" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I was looking to plant some climbers to help add some height to a fence,
the fence itself is around 6 foot hight but to give it a bit more am I
within my rights to tack on a small bit of trellis to the inside of the
fence to give them something to hang on to? If it helps it's a non-shared
fence i.e. there's a footpath on the other side rather than someone else's
garden.

Thanks

You should be all right with that (IANAL), especially as there's no
neighbour to complain.

But I would fix robustly, rather than tack, the trellis to the top. Once the
climbers of your choice have put on some growth they're going to get heavy,
and then the wind will blow.....

Steve

Old 16-10-2010, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

shazzbat wrote:
But I would fix robustly, rather than tack, the trellis to the top. Once the
climbers of your choice have put on some growth they're going to get heavy,
and then the wind will blow.....

Our hop plant has just dragged down the wooden tacked on trellis on our
shared fence for the 2nd year running. :-(
Old 16-10-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:13:35 +0100, "Endulini"
wrote:

Hi,

I was looking to plant some climbers to help add some height to a fence, the
fence itself is around 6 foot hight but to give it a bit more am I within my
rights to tack on a small bit of trellis to the inside of the fence to give
them something to hang on to? If it helps it's a non-shared fence i.e.
there's a footpath on the other side rather than someone else's garden.

Thanks

I'd be worried that the trellis, being obviously weaker than the
fence, might attract the vandal element walking along the footpath and
might get pulled down from the other side. As Shazzbat and Vicky point
out, apart from that risk, the weight of a climber would probably pull
the trellis down anyway. If you did want to to something, I'd suggest
getting the strong square type of trellis (rather than weaker diamond
types) and then fixing longer fence posts to your existing fence posts
(drill right through and bolt them together) and attaching the trellis
to that.

Given the time it could take a climber to grow anyway, have you
considered planting some shrubs against the fence? Some will happily
grow to 8 feet in a few years and you could then add some climbing
roses, for example, to grow up through the shrubs for added interest.

I'm not making suggestions for shrubs as you don't say where you are
and how much space in front of/length of fence you have.
Old 16-10-2010, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed about the type of trellis, but increasing the height of the fence
posting
would be inadvisable.

Bolting through the trellis verticals and the existing( if wooden ) posts
would be better.

O.K. there will be overlapping -but that will just add to the rigidity.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 16-10-2010, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 17:46:51 +0100, "Pete"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

That's what I meant, but didn't express it properly. So Pete and I
agree.

Jake
Old 16-10-2010, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 18:43:24 +0100, Jake
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 17:46:51 +0100, "Pete"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Nope. Sorry. Misread Pete's post I think. I was thinking (as I've done
it in a previous home - not thought but extended a fence height), that
if you've got, say, 6 feet of fence post above ground you get, say, 8
foot posts. Bolt the new ones to the old (starting a few inches above
ground) so you'd end up with 8 and a bit foot posts to support the
trellis.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have thought in previous homes but I
have also, in one, extended a fence height and, as far as I know, the
extension is still standing (though the trellis has been replaced
along with the fence panels) some 20 ish years later. That was using 3
inch posts into Metpost ground stakes so the original posts were held
a bit above soil level.

;-))
Old 16-10-2010, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message

That's what I meant, but didn't express it properly. So Pete and I
agree.

Excellent !

So let us both hope he has not got the concrete type of posts (:-( --?--
(:-)

Pete

Old 17-10-2010, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Endulini wrote:

I was looking to plant some climbers to help add some height to a fence, the
fence itself is around 6 foot hight but to give it a bit more am I within my
rights to tack on a small bit of trellis to the inside of the fence to give
them something to hang on to? If it helps it's a non-shared fence i.e.
there's a footpath on the other side rather than someone else's garden.

If you want a legal answer, then any fence in such a location
over 2 metres high would require planning permission. Have a look
he

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonfenceswallsgates/workmoreppfencewallgate

Your ultimate decision on how to proceed will no doubt be
influenced by how likely you think it is that anybody would
notice and complain.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 17-10-2010, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

rights to tack on a small bit of trellis to the inside of the fence to give
them something to hang on to?

Why I would agree that trellis would look best, its what I have done
with a shared fence, in your case would not a couple of wires strung
out along the top solve the problem of vandalism. And let your plants
grow along them .

Also ref Concrete Fence Posts, (best thing since sliced bread!) The
slots that hold the fence allow wooden trellis to also 'balance' on
top, This gives you enough time to pin the trellis to the fence and I
then used wooden wedges between the trellis and the concrete post to
firm everything up, result an almost invisible support and a firmly
mounted trellis

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Old 18-10-2010, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:13:35 +0100, "Endulini"

I'd be worried that the trellis, being obviously weaker than the
fence, might attract the vandal element walking along the footpath and
might get pulled down from the other side. As Shazzbat and Vicky point
out, apart from that risk, the weight of a climber would probably pull
the trellis down anyway. If you did want to to something, I'd suggest
getting the strong square type of trellis (rather than weaker diamond
types) and then fixing longer fence posts to your existing fence posts
(drill right through and bolt them together) and attaching the trellis
to that.

If you're going with the wooden posts, may I suggest fixing 6" x 1" planks
to the posts along the length of the fence about half way up.This will give
added wind resistance / stenght to the fence.
I did this to my 6ft high larch lap fence at time when some people's fences
were being blown over and and no insurnce calims were being considered.

Bill

Old 19-10-2010, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I'm in the East Midlands, it's about 15m long and the inside of the
fence is north facing. I'd definitely be interested in any suggestions

Fence height off ground Sacha United Kingdom 8 03-08-2006 08:34 PM
Deer fence height jerry Gardening 12 05-06-2005 03:41 AM
Screen to Give Extra Height to Fence Victor West United Kingdom 11 25-05-2003 11:45 AM
Metal Halides- Height Over Orchids Merrill Speeter Orchids 0 06-03-2003 06:16 PM
what height to set snowblower skids at? Tim Lawns 4 05-02-2003 09:55 AM