Old 18-10-2010, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Fence Height

"Jake" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:13:35 +0100, "Endulini"

I'd be worried that the trellis, being obviously weaker than the
fence, might attract the vandal element walking along the footpath and
might get pulled down from the other side. As Shazzbat and Vicky point
out, apart from that risk, the weight of a climber would probably pull
the trellis down anyway. If you did want to to something, I'd suggest
getting the strong square type of trellis (rather than weaker diamond
types) and then fixing longer fence posts to your existing fence posts
(drill right through and bolt them together) and attaching the trellis
to that.

If you're going with the wooden posts, may I suggest fixing 6" x 1" planks
to the posts along the length of the fence about half way up.This will give
added wind resistance / stenght to the fence.
I did this to my 6ft high larch lap fence at time when some people's fences
were being blown over and and no insurnce calims were being considered.

Bill