Old 18-10-2010, 03:53 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScullster View Post
HiAbout 3 months ago I went up the ladder to retrieve the box and fit the ply
faceplate. As soon as I disturbed the box, a loud buzzing sound prompted me
to abandon the re-furb rather hurriedly. Despite regular observation since,
I have not seen any insect activity around the box.
Yesterday, I plucked up courage to go back up the ladder. Having covered
the entrance hole with duct tape, I detached the birdbox and returned to
terra firma to investigate. As anticipated, there was a
fortunately-abandoned insect nest of some sort buried in the old bird
nesting material - google images suggest that this is either a bee or
hornets former home. Not a large settlement, the nest volume is maybe equal
to a tennis ball at most. Still I wouldn't have liked to incur the wrath of
its inhabitants nonetheless.
I once took the lid off my birdbox to clean it out for the winter to find it almost full from top to bottom with a quite stiff white fibrous material with horizontal round tubes containing grubs, presumably some kind of bee. It was well attached to the walls, and from the condition of the wood seems to have been made out of chewed up wood. I regret it now but I evicted them as I wanted the box back. It would not have been a stinging kind of bee.