Old 18-10-2010, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird Box Saga - The Final Chapter

Hi all

Just thought you guys might be interested to hear the outcome of an on-going
bird box saga.

A couple of years ago it became apparent that, although there was some
interest shown in our bird box, there were no takers for residency.
It looked as though this may be due to the entrance hole having been
enlarged by previous visitors. So I made a face plate out of aluminium to
cover the existing larger hole and present a neater and smaller version to
potential clients.
There was again lots of interest (and plenty of loud beak knocking) but
still no takers. So I took off the face plated and made another out of
ply - thinking that maybe the birds didn't like the fact that their beaks
were now well blunt and they had not managed to modify the entrance to their
own personal taste.
About 3 months ago I went up the ladder to retrieve the box and fit the ply
faceplate. As soon as I disturbed the box, a loud buzzing sound prompted me
to abandon the re-furb rather hurriedly. Despite regular observation since,
I have not seen any insect activity around the box.
Yesterday, I plucked up courage to go back up the ladder. Having covered
the entrance hole with duct tape, I detached the birdbox and returned to
terra firma to investigate. As anticipated, there was a
fortunately-abandoned insect nest of some sort buried in the old bird
nesting material - google images suggest that this is either a bee or
hornets former home. Not a large settlement, the nest volume is maybe equal
to a tennis ball at most. Still I wouldn't have liked to incur the wrath of
its inhabitants nonetheless.

So I have now fitted the ply facia and hope it will be more appealing to the
local bird population next year.

Thanks for reading

Phil

Old 18-10-2010, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 Oct, 12:50, "TheScullster" wrote:
[...]

If you want to have Blue Tits use it then the hole should be 1 1/8
inch, as for the insect nest it is probably Bumble Bee nest as they
often take over old wren and tit nests
Old 18-10-2010, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
TheScullster writes

[...]

I had a nest box which blue tits chose in 2006, and I caught 5
fledgelings emerging by placing my camcorder on the dining room window
ledge, and cabling it to a DVD recorder which was left running for hours
when the fledging was due. This determined pair managed to win the
box from a bumble bee which tried to steal it. I got some amusing
footage of BT sparring with bumble bee at the entrance. :-)

The following year the box was deserted after 10 eggs were laid, and in
2008 there were no takers.

In Feb 2009 I put up a box fitted with a camera (ALDI), but no takers,
although a bumble bee buzzed in and out one day and triggered a short
video...
I put a similar box up this year, but although I checked the recorders,
no sign of a bird in the box.
The next move was to take the lower front panel off one box, and hang a
fat snack and place some sunflower seed on the bottom of the box.
This gave me some clips of birds feeding, but having caused them to
notice the box, I have now closed it again and will wait for next year,
hoping for the best. There is a shortage of BTs in this area, but
there was a pair feeding in my garden in Spring...

Extreme patience is required, I'm afraid.... :-)

Thanks for reading

I look forward to hearing your update next Spring...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 18-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScullster View Post
HiAbout 3 months ago I went up the ladder to retrieve the box and fit the ply
faceplate. As soon as I disturbed the box, a loud buzzing sound prompted me
to abandon the re-furb rather hurriedly. Despite regular observation since,
I have not seen any insect activity around the box.
Yesterday, I plucked up courage to go back up the ladder. Having covered
the entrance hole with duct tape, I detached the birdbox and returned to
terra firma to investigate. As anticipated, there was a
fortunately-abandoned insect nest of some sort buried in the old bird
nesting material - google images suggest that this is either a bee or
hornets former home. Not a large settlement, the nest volume is maybe equal
to a tennis ball at most. Still I wouldn't have liked to incur the wrath of
its inhabitants nonetheless.
I once took the lid off my birdbox to clean it out for the winter to find it almost full from top to bottom with a quite stiff white fibrous material with horizontal round tubes containing grubs, presumably some kind of bee. It was well attached to the walls, and from the condition of the wood seems to have been made out of chewed up wood. I regret it now but I evicted them as I wanted the box back. It would not have been a stinging kind of bee.
Old 18-10-2010, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

If it is a papery substance ball shaped with a hole in the bottom it's
wasps.
If it's a bunch of little wax pots it's bumble bees.
They are all harmless. Bumble bees are becoming endangered.

Old 18-10-2010, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Thanks for this interesting post.
Around 5 years ago (or maybe more, time flies) I had a orgy of making nest
boxes as I'd bought a book about it from the BTO by Chris de Feu. I got
myself a jigsaw and those drill bits that make big holes and set to work on
some 6 inch floorboards.
Almost all of these boxes have been taken up every year. 25mm hole for blue
tits, 28mm for great tits and I made a deep box with a letterbox type hole
across the top which has been used by robins.
My only failure has been the treecreeper box. I know they are here but they
are notoriously difficult to get to nest in artificial boxes even though
made to exact specifications. Ah well.. can't win them all, eh?
Tina

Since then

Old 18-10-2010, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , TheScullster
writes

[...]

I did manage to get some video of the mother blue tit feeding the chicks
soon after which the fledglings left the box. I was standing very quiety
and still about 8ft from the nest box.
The fledglings are totally naive and do not know the fear of humans - at
least for a while

Bill

Thanks for reading

Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 18-10-2010, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

I knew about the "paper" ball that wasps make but the bumble bees' making
wax balls are new
to me - thanks.

Bill

Old 18-10-2010, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

Several years ago a friend of mine a keen ornithologist concerned himself
with the question of Pied Flycatchers migrating to West Wales, at least as
far south as the Swansea Valley. Four of us constructed. 45 nest boxes in
all and installed them in a local wooded valley. The entrance holes were
blocked with demi john corks to prevent the blue tits and great tits
nesting. This was successful and after the corks were removed, eventually
40 out of the 45 boxes were taken up by Pied Fly Catchers. Before this it
was thought they didn't come further south than about Aberystwyth, mid
Wales..

Bill

Old 18-10-2010, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

[...]

What time of the year were the corks removed to prevent the tits nesting yet
allow the PF's to do so?
Tina

Old 18-10-2010, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Tina, it was some time ago, about 30 years in fact, but If I remember
correctly it was after the end of April and certainly after most Tits had
nested.

I was only the "labourer" my friend was the expert.

BTW the RSPB eventually took an insterest in the little valley and the "Cwm
Clydach Reserve" was established. They were badgerded to take a look at the
place by one ouf our group of four, and eventually a representative visited
..he area he was convinced of its potential as a nature reserve

Bill

Old 18-10-2010, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message ,

[...]

Thanks, very interesting about the corks which seems to suggest if tits are
kept out where PF are, they will use the boxes later.
Does not apply here as we have no PF's.
Tina

..

Old 18-10-2010, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

I had a nest box which blue tits chose in 2006, and I caught 5 fledgelings
emerging by placing my camcorder on the dining room window ledge, and
cabling it to a DVD recorder which was left running for hours when the
fledging was due. This determined pair managed to win the box from a
bumble bee which tried to steal it. I got some amusing footage of BT
sparring with bumble bee at the entrance. :-)

I did manage to get some video of the mother blue tit feeding the chicks
soon after which the fledglings left the box. I was standing very quiety
and still about 8ft from the nest box.
The fledglings are totally naive and do not know the fear of humans - at
least for a while

Bill

I took some shots of a chick peering out at the world for the first
time by creeping up close.
I still have one or two on my photograph site:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/16201411
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 19-10-2010, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Bill Grey
writes

[...]

I like the "Second Look" shot - lovely.

Bill
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 19-10-2010, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message ,

[...]

Yes indeed! That was the theory and it worked. I blieve the Pied Fly
Catchers travel down the western side of GB.

Bill