Old 21-10-2010, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Riparian Vegetation identification - UK

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

If he's not a botanist, reference books might not help him;

A lot...

it's taken
me two and a half (or more) years to learn to recognise the commoner
cichorioid daisies even with the help of several floras.

The second grass is Dactylis glomerata. (There is a second species of
Dactylis present in Britain, but it's rare.)

I'd be inclined to look amongst the Caryophyllaceae for your
broad-leaved plant.

It's always better to have a specimen in front of you - working from
pics is dodgy - identification might include taste, smell, etc. Of
course, having a flower to inspect is even better...

--
Rusty