Old 20-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Registered User

Default Riparian Vegetation identification - UK

Hi guys,
I am currently doing my 3rd year dissertation at University in the UK.
I have some photos of a few plants and am looking for the species of each one.
All the photo's were taken next to a small river in Birmingham, UK

The photo's of the plants can be seen here - Identification: Some very common British plants.. HELP!! - UBC Botanical Garden Forums
The first 2 photo's are of grasses and i am looking for someone's best guess of the species.
For the 3rd photo i am looking for the plant name of the small broad leaved specimens in the middle of the shot

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Aidan
Old 20-10-2010, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

(http://tinyurl.com/39awff5)

--
axr862

3rd year and you still don't know how to use referance books in the
university library,
Shame on you.
Old 20-10-2010, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On 20 Oct, 17:44, axr862 wrote:
[...]

If he's not a botanist, reference books might not help him; it's taken
me two and a half (or more) years to learn to recognise the commoner
cichorioid daisies even with the help of several floras.

The second grass is Dactylis glomerata. (There is a second species of
Dactylis present in Britain, but it's rare.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-10-2010, 05:45 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
In message
,
Dave Hill
writes

(
[...]

Agree with Stuart. The first and third pics are of plants without flowers - most keys use floral features,, and identification of a plant out of flower is most easily done by someone who has actual knowledge of the plant.
__________________
Old 21-10-2010, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

If he's not a botanist, reference books might not help him;

A lot...

it's taken
me two and a half (or more) years to learn to recognise the commoner
cichorioid daisies even with the help of several floras.

The second grass is Dactylis glomerata. (There is a second species of
Dactylis present in Britain, but it's rare.)

I'd be inclined to look amongst the Caryophyllaceae for your
broad-leaved plant.

It's always better to have a specimen in front of you - working from
pics is dodgy - identification might include taste, smell, etc. Of
course, having a flower to inspect is even better...

--
Rusty

Old 21-10-2010, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/10/2010 15:22, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

If he's not a botanist, reference books might not help him;

A lot...

it's taken me two and a half (or more) years to learn to recognise the
commoner cichorioid daisies even with the help of several floras.

The second grass is Dactylis glomerata. (There is a second species of
Dactylis present in Britain, but it's rare.)

I'd be inclined to look amongst the Caryophyllaceae for your
broad-leaved plant.

It's always better to have a specimen in front of you - working from
pics is dodgy - identification might include taste, smell, etc. Of
course, having a flower to inspect is even better...

Agree with Dactylis glomerate. For number 3, could it not be Plantago
lanceolata?
Old 21-10-2010, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/10/2010 15:37, gogo wrote:
On 21/10/2010 15:22, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

If he's not a botanist, reference books might not help him;

A lot...

it's taken me two and a half (or more) years to learn to recognise the
commoner cichorioid daisies even with the help of several floras.

The second grass is Dactylis glomerata. (There is a second species of
Dactylis present in Britain, but it's rare.)

I'd be inclined to look amongst the Caryophyllaceae for your
broad-leaved plant.

It's always better to have a specimen in front of you - working from
pics is dodgy - identification might include taste, smell, etc. Of
course, having a flower to inspect is even better...

Agree with Dactylis glomerate. For number 3, could it not be Plantago
lanceolata?

oops, sorry, I was looking at the wrong plant, I think
Old 21-10-2010, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , gogo
writes
On 21/10/2010 15:22, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

If he's not a botanist, reference books might not help him;

A lot...

it's taken me two and a half (or more) years to learn to recognise the
commoner cichorioid daisies even with the help of several floras.

The second grass is Dactylis glomerata. (There is a second species of
Dactylis present in Britain, but it's rare.)

I'd be inclined to look amongst the Caryophyllaceae for your
broad-leaved plant.

It's always better to have a specimen in front of you - working from
pics is dodgy - identification might include taste, smell, etc. Of
course, having a flower to inspect is even better...

Agree with Dactylis glomerate. For number 3, could it not be Plantago
lanceolata?

There is pretty clearly Plantago lanceolata there (I read the Scorzonera
humilis is a pretty good mimic vegetatively, but it's rare), but I
believe that what he wanted identifying is the smaller, rounded-leaved,
plant in the middle.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-10-2010, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Oct, 17:44, axr862 wrote:
[...]

But one doesn't need to be a botanist to recommend Aidan to lose the
"greengrocer's apostrophe". Aidan, there's always a strong temptation to
use an apostrophe in the plurals of abbreviations, but it's not
acceptable or necessary. If it's actually in the text of a dissertation,
I'd use the full form, "photographs". Have fun.

--
Mike.

Old 21-10-2010, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:

But one doesn't need to be a botanist to recommend Aidan to lose the
"greengrocer's apostrophe". Aidan, there's always a strong temptation to
use an apostrophe in the plurals of abbreviations, but it's not
acceptable or necessary. If it's actually in the text of a dissertation,
I'd use the full form, "photographs". Have fun.

While I don't use an apostophe there, it's perfectly acceptable to do
so. It isn't a plural, it denotes abbreviated text - photo(graph)s

If you loo at the history of the apostrophe, it was used in the past on
plurals to show how one of these new foreign words should be pronounced
- ones like potato, tomato, banana etc.

Only a great deal later did the illuminati try to restrict it to
flagging missing letters or possessies.

--
Rusty

Old 21-10-2010, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

But one doesn't need to be a botanist to recommend Aidan to lose the
"greengrocer's apostrophe". Aidan, there's always a strong
temptation to use an apostrophe in the plurals of abbreviations, but
it's not acceptable or necessary. If it's actually in the text of a
dissertation, I'd use the full form, "photographs". Have fun.

While I don't use an apostophe there, it's perfectly acceptable to do
so. It isn't a plural, it denotes abbreviated text - photo(graph)s

If you loo at the history of the apostrophe, it was used in the past
on plurals to show how one of these new foreign words should be
pronounced - ones like potato, tomato, banana etc.

Only a great deal later did the illuminati try to restrict it to
flagging missing letters or possessies.

And this /is/ a great deal later, and I'm illuminate.

--
Mike.

Old 22-10-2010, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Only a great deal later did the illuminati try to restrict it to
flagging missing letters or possessies.

And this /is/ a great deal later, and I'm illuminate.

Flick a switch then: there's a lot of darkness about...

--
Rusty
Old 23-10-2010, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Oct, 17:44, axr862 wrote:
[...]

Is that a "snap" decision?

Bill

--
Mike.

Old 28-10-2010, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Oct, 17:44, axr862 wrote:
[...]

No: I developed it over many years of training, and now it's fixed.

--
Mike.

Old 28-10-2010, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Only a great deal later did the illuminati try to restrict it to
flagging missing letters or possessies.

And this /is/ a great deal later, and I'm illuminate.

Flick a switch then: there's a lot of darkness about...

I'm rather afraid of the dark...

--
Mike.