Old 21-10-2010, 08:52 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewillow View Post
hi,ive recently brought a felix jury magnolia, its in a 4lt pot and it is starting to loose it big leaves, which is the normal thing for the type of year, the problem is that ive left the pot standing in a contaner of water for to long and when i checked on the roots they seem to have going slightly black on the ends. I have now got the pot out of water but the bottom still seems very soggy. should i repot as i was thinking of doing this at some point ? also can anyone advise on what is the best compost to buy and do i need to use a slow relise rhododendrone fertilizer in with the soil .im keeping the magnolia indoors as it is only a young plant . any advise would be great.
Hi bluewillow, I totally agree with everthing echinosum has told you and really only out of interest I add the following for anyone about to plant a magnolia.
I talk from experience when I say, some varieties of Magnolia have very thick fleshy but FRAGILE roots and I would advise anyone when planting one to be careful when 'firming in', especially if using your foot to do the firming that you dont break the roots with over enthusiastic firming ?? I have seen lots of magnolias ruined this way and while it wont kill them, they never seem to grow very well !! Beware, to be safe, use your fingers ??
best wishes, Lannerman.