Old 21-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Registered User

Location: uk
Question felix jury magnolia

hi,ive recently brought a felix jury magnolia, its in a 4lt pot and it is starting to loose it big leaves, which is the normal thing for the type of year, the problem is that ive left the pot standing in a contaner of water for to long and when i checked on the roots they seem to have going slightly black on the ends. I have now got the pot out of water but the bottom still seems very soggy. should i repot as i was thinking of doing this at some point ? also can anyone advise on what is the best compost to buy and do i need to use a slow relise rhododendrone fertilizer in with the soil .im keeping the magnolia indoors as it is only a young plant . any advise would be great.
Old 21-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewillow View Post
hi,ive recently brought a felix jury magnolia, its in a 4lt pot and it is starting to loose it big leaves, which is the normal thing for the type of year, the problem is that ive left the pot standing in a contaner of water for to long and when i checked on the roots they seem to have going slightly black on the ends. I have now got the pot out of water but the bottom still seems very soggy. should i repot as i was thinking of doing this at some point ? also can anyone advise on what is the best compost to buy and do i need to use a slow relise rhododendrone fertilizer in with the soil .im keeping the magnolia indoors as it is only a young plant . any advise would be great.
Don't keep it indoors, even if you leave it in its container, there's absolutely no need, and it would be better if it was hardened off by being out of doors. Though if it has been kept indoors recently, then it might need gradual introduction to out of doors. Don't leave it in a container, plant it out. It's an ideal time to plant it out now. It is not a suitable subject for container cultivation. If for whatever reason you have to keep it in a container for another year, pot it on to a much, much larger container. It is in a ridiculously small container for its size already, and it will probably grow a lot more next year.
Old 21-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewillow View Post
hi,ive recently brought a felix jury magnolia, its in a 4lt pot and it is starting to loose it big leaves, which is the normal thing for the type of year, the problem is that ive left the pot standing in a contaner of water for to long and when i checked on the roots they seem to have going slightly black on the ends. I have now got the pot out of water but the bottom still seems very soggy. should i repot as i was thinking of doing this at some point ? also can anyone advise on what is the best compost to buy and do i need to use a slow relise rhododendrone fertilizer in with the soil .im keeping the magnolia indoors as it is only a young plant . any advise would be great.
Hi bluewillow, I totally agree with everthing echinosum has told you and really only out of interest I add the following for anyone about to plant a magnolia.
I talk from experience when I say, some varieties of Magnolia have very thick fleshy but FRAGILE roots and I would advise anyone when planting one to be careful when 'firming in', especially if using your foot to do the firming that you dont break the roots with over enthusiastic firming ?? I have seen lots of magnolias ruined this way and while it wont kill them, they never seem to grow very well !! Beware, to be safe, use your fingers ??
best wishes, Lannerman.
Old 22-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered User

Location: uk
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi bluewillow, I totally agree with everthing echinosum has told you and really only out of interest I add the following for anyone about to plant a magnolia.
I talk from experience when I say, some varieties of Magnolia have very thick fleshy but FRAGILE roots and I would advise anyone when planting one to be careful when 'firming in', especially if using your foot to do the firming that you dont break the roots with over enthusiastic firming ?? I have seen lots of magnolias ruined this way and while it wont kill them, they never seem to grow very well !! Beware, to be safe, use your fingers ??
best wishes, Lannerman.
Thanks to both of you for your advise,i am going to be potting it in a contander while it is small should i buy the largest contander i can buy also could you advise me on what is the best compost that i should buy as ive been looking at WESTLAND compost in our local garden center.should i buy this and mix it with some rhododendrone compost and also then mix rhododendrone slow fertilzer in also?. thanks for all you advise i wish to give this magnolia the best poss start while young.