Old 21-10-2010, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Riparian Vegetation identification - UK

In message , gogo
writes
On 21/10/2010 15:22, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

If he's not a botanist, reference books might not help him;

A lot...

it's taken me two and a half (or more) years to learn to recognise the
commoner cichorioid daisies even with the help of several floras.

The second grass is Dactylis glomerata. (There is a second species of
Dactylis present in Britain, but it's rare.)

I'd be inclined to look amongst the Caryophyllaceae for your
broad-leaved plant.

It's always better to have a specimen in front of you - working from
pics is dodgy - identification might include taste, smell, etc. Of
course, having a flower to inspect is even better...

Agree with Dactylis glomerate. For number 3, could it not be Plantago
lanceolata?

There is pretty clearly Plantago lanceolata there (I read the Scorzonera
humilis is a pretty good mimic vegetatively, but it's rare), but I
believe that what he wanted identifying is the smaller, rounded-leaved,
plant in the middle.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley