View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Old 22-10-2010, 11:04 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2006
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi bluewillow, I totally agree with everthing echinosum has told you and really only out of interest I add the following for anyone about to plant a magnolia.
I talk from experience when I say, some varieties of Magnolia have very thick fleshy but FRAGILE roots and I would advise anyone when planting one to be careful when 'firming in', especially if using your foot to do the firming that you dont break the roots with over enthusiastic firming ?? I have seen lots of magnolias ruined this way and while it wont kill them, they never seem to grow very well !! Beware, to be safe, use your fingers ??
best wishes, Lannerman.
Thanks to both of you for your advise,i am going to be potting it in a contander while it is small should i buy the largest contander i can buy also could you advise me on what is the best compost that i should buy as ive been looking at WESTLAND compost in our local garden center.should i buy this and mix it with some rhododendrone compost and also then mix rhododendrone slow fertilzer in also?. thanks for all you advise i wish to give this magnolia the best poss start while young.