Old 24-10-2010, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT Call for discussion on subjects that should be labelled OT

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

FWIW We've been watching Australia ever since it became clear to
us that Australia is on the front lines of climate change and the
understanding you're developing about water reserves.

From my perspective I find this applause ironic. Take two cases.

The water management of the Murray-Darling basin. Everybody has
know it has been stuffed for years. Everybody knows if we don't
fix it we are going to be importing lots of food real soon.
Everybody knows it will take a national approach to fix it and
that because of previous gross over-allocations of water (which
are no-one's fault BTW !!!!!) somebody will have to take less.
There was much running around screaming 'something must be done'.
So we have a report from an national independent commission saying
all this and what happens?

The irrigators all take up positions behind the barricades
declaring 'take my water from my cold dead hand'. From some the
message is very clear the commission got the objective wrong,
don't re-organise water management so that the basin can become
sustainable. Don't head off the situation where we all go broke
in 30 years time. Do it so that we, here, now keep getting
everything we want and a bit more. If you ever wanted a living
example of the tragedy of the commons this is it.

We have a Prime Minister who wants to study climate change more -
you don't want to rush into these things. We have an opposition
leader who can't quite make up his mind if climate change is real,
it depend on which way the last opinion poll is heading what he
says. We have a plethora of politicians and a dirth of statesmen.

David

"The last wave" DVD diversion.

http://thurly.net/07ee

Are you suggesting we need or have a Mulkril?

David

Nope just saying the movie is exceptional and perhaps timeless.
The 3 reviews are worth a look.

Perhaps as well as OT we need a code to signify non sequiturs jumps.