Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default cider making - labour saving devices (Billy, charles et al)

In article , "George"
wrote:

Chaps

Looking forward to he next cider making season, a few months down the line,
I had a brainwave for a labour saving device.

Rather than putting chopped up apples through a food processor (and having
wrecked 2 in the process) I thought of using a waste disposal unit.

Get a second hand unit (preferably free) and place it in an old sink unit
(preferably free). Get it wired up with a plug (will probably have to pay
for that). Mount it on a stand and away laughing.

Switch on, shove apples through unit, collect pulp in a bucket underneath.
From there straight into the press.

I also had a brainwave with the press.

Up to now using a cheap crap jig (rebuilt a few times), plastic buckets
(broke 3-4 of these) and a bottle jack. I got hold of a round steel tin I
was going to use.

Better still however, build a proper wooden press bucket. Get hold of some
unstained hardwood and build a bucket, strapped together with some sort of
long building strap, gang nail plate etc.

Rebuild jig to hold bucket in place, continue to use bottle jack.

rob

ps had freshly cut asparagus for tea. Will be sharing results with workmates
tomorrow by looks of it

I'm not familiar with garbage disposals, but make sure it doesn't leach
toxics into your brew (lead for example).

Use stainless steel fittings where possible (bolts and nuts), and paint
non-stainless metal with food grade paint.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude