Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Posey Posey is offline
Registered User

Location: Albany, New York USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

I have a huge Hollyhock growing next to my gas meter up
against the cement foundation of my house (wood floor
house with crawl space). Does this Hollyhock present
an kind of danger to either 1) the gas meter, 2) the gas
pipes, and/or 3) the foundation of my house?

I want to make sure the roots do not affect the gas meter
or its lines and make sure the roots do not crack my foundation.

Many thanks,
-T
Todd,

I can't give you expert advice. However, I had a few Hollyhocks for years and made sure I didn't plant them along the house just in case the roots might cause damage to the foundation. I lost all the Hollyhocks over time from either too much moisture or squirrels digging them up in early spring. The Hollyhocks were behind a patch of daisies and some lupines and I dug underground and clipped the roots every year so they wouldn't grow into the other plants. Some of the roots were pretty thick and strong, so I would imagine they could potentially cause damage to the foundation. I wouldn't want them near my gas meter lines to be on the safe side. I bet you could Google this to get the answer.

Anne in Albany, NY