Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default hollyhock, foundation and gas meter question

Hi All,

I have a huge Hollyhock growing next to my gas meter up
against the cement foundation of my house (wood floor
house with crawl space). Does this Hollyhock present
an kind of danger to either 1) the gas meter, 2) the gas
pipes, and/or 3) the foundation of my house?

I want to make sure the roots do not affect the gas meter
or its lines and make sure the roots do not crack my foundation.

Many thanks,
-T
Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd writes:

Hi All,

I have a huge Hollyhock growing next to my gas meter up
against the cement foundation of my house (wood floor
house with crawl space). Does this Hollyhock present
an kind of danger to either 1) the gas meter, 2) the gas
pipes, and/or 3) the foundation of my house?

Hollyhock has a long tap root with short side roots.
The roots aren't a danger.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

You have nothing to worry about.

Una

Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Albany, New York USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

I have a huge Hollyhock growing next to my gas meter up
against the cement foundation of my house (wood floor
house with crawl space). Does this Hollyhock present
an kind of danger to either 1) the gas meter, 2) the gas
pipes, and/or 3) the foundation of my house?

I want to make sure the roots do not affect the gas meter
or its lines and make sure the roots do not crack my foundation.

Many thanks,
-T
Todd,

I can't give you expert advice. However, I had a few Hollyhocks for years and made sure I didn't plant them along the house just in case the roots might cause damage to the foundation. I lost all the Hollyhocks over time from either too much moisture or squirrels digging them up in early spring. The Hollyhocks were behind a patch of daisies and some lupines and I dug underground and clipped the roots every year so they wouldn't grow into the other plants. Some of the roots were pretty thick and strong, so I would imagine they could potentially cause damage to the foundation. I wouldn't want them near my gas meter lines to be on the safe side. I bet you could Google this to get the answer.

Anne in Albany, NY
Old 08-11-2010, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/07/2010 03:33 PM, Una wrote:
You have nothing to worry about.

Una

Thank you!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
Posey

If the foundation is structurally sound, even large tree roots are not
inclined to damage. Certainly the roots of a herbaceous perennial/
biennial like the hollyhocks would pose NO concerns whatsoever. Nor
would these roots have any impact on underground lines.

The issues that can be present with tree roots tend to be focused on
particular species that are notorious for aggressive growth habits and/
or seek out water, like poplars, willows, some larger maples, etc. And
even then, damage to foundations or penetration is restricted to
foundations that may already be cracked or structurally compromised.
Foundational damage is more often related to soil types, with
particular respect to heavy or clay soils that may experience
significant expansion or shrinkage in wet or dry periods.

With the exception of some very aggressive bamboos, smaller plants
like perennials and most shrubs pose absolutely NO danger to
structurally sound foundations, intact undergound plumbing or other
utility lines.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd;904582 Wrote:

I have a huge Hollyhock growing next to my gas meter up
against the cement foundation of my house (wood floor
house with crawl space). Does this Hollyhock present
an kind of danger to either 1) the gas meter, 2) the gas
pipes, and/or 3) the foundation of my house?

I want to make sure the roots do not affect the gas meter
or its lines and make sure the roots do not crack my foundation.

Unlike pussywillow hollyhock roots are not invasive so I doubt it can
harm anything but itself... now is a good time to relocate your plant
to a more hospitable home away from foundations but you need to dig up
a ball of earth with as much of the tap root as possible, replant
immediately and water well. If you soak the ground well for a day or
two it should dig easily.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/08/2010 08:50 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Todd;904582 Wrote:

I have a huge Hollyhock growing next to my gas meter up
against the cement foundation of my house (wood floor
house with crawl space). Does this Hollyhock present
an kind of danger to either 1) the gas meter, 2) the gas
pipes, and/or 3) the foundation of my house?

I want to make sure the roots do not affect the gas meter
or its lines and make sure the roots do not crack my foundation.

Unlike pussywillow hollyhock roots are not invasive so I doubt it can
harm anything but itself... now is a good time to relocate your plant
to a more hospitable home away from foundations but you need to dig up
a ball of earth with as much of the tap root as possible, replant
immediately and water well. If you soak the ground well for a day or
two it should dig easily.

Hi Gardengal, Brooklyn1, Posey,

Thank you for your responses!

-T

[IMG] code is On

Adding Small Amount of Gas with 2 Cyle Oil Mix to Gas for Lawnmower [email protected] Lawns 7 03-06-2013 01:43 AM
hollyhock, foundation and gas meter question Todd Lawns 2 10-11-2010 07:26 PM
foundation/slope question CB Gardening 6 16-08-2006 05:28 PM
Very tall hollyhock stuart noble United Kingdom 0 04-08-2003 09:12 AM
Hollyhock`s Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 29-06-2003 11:56 AM