Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Privot hedge dying and turning a funny colour.

On 10/11/2010 11:28, Janet wrote:
In , gavj.7500fd7
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Hi all, and thanks for the replies.

Root damaged is a possibility when they dug out for the new lawn.

No chemicals etc have been used on the "old new" lawn or this new lawn
before or after it was laid. But I think the new lawn may have been
treated before we received it. But this problem was there before the new
grass was laid.

Any photos of it at this stage? I still suspect that a powerful
broadleaf herbicide is the most likely cause of that scorched look.
Privet leaves can go very dark after frosts at this time of year but
only the most exposed leaves suffer from this.

The sand was removed after the latest lawn was laid but the part between
the hedge and lawn still has some of the sand under the plum slate.

Can anyone recommend a brand of suitable fertiliser.

The symptoms the hedge shows are not starvation, and fertilising a sick
plant when you don't know the cause,can often do more harm than good ( a
bit like feeding fish and chips to an unconscious patient).
Privet is very resilient but you won't know till next spring if the
damaged section of hedge is going to recover. I would not feed it
before, or until, it starts to send out new shoots.

Oh Absolutely. Though it may be possible to buy cheap fertiliser now to
use in spring as shops and garden centres clear their shelves for Xmas
goodies. Already too late round here Santas Grotto was up in good time
for him to fight with demons for shelf space on Halloween!

Regards,
Martin Brown