Old 09-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Registered User

Default Privot hedge dying and turning a funny colour.

Our privot headge is dying and turning a funny colour. See photos below.

But this only happening where the hedge meets the lawn, where it doesn't meet the lawn its fine. We had the lawn laid last year and the company laid it on sand rather than soil. Anyway the lawn failed and we are currently taking them to court as they were unwilling to resolve the problem.

Between the hedge and lawn is a 1ft boarder of plum slate and I guess under that is sand from when the lawn was laid.

We had had to have the sand and new turf taken away and topsoil and new turf laid (grass growing nicely now).

So just to sum up, if I look at the privot thats near the grass its a funny colour and thin. If I look where the lawn ends the privots quickly turns green and healty. (see photo with sleepers)

Does anyone know how I can recover the Privot.

Thanks Gav

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...1790_Dated.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...1786_Dated.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...n/DSCF2047.jpg

Thanks Gav
Old 09-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Registered User

Sorry about the spelling, I just tried to edit but cant see how.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 9, 1:20*pm, gavj wrote:
[...]

[image:http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...790_Dated.jpg]
[image:http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...786_Dated.jpg]
[image:http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14.../DSCF2047.jpg]

Thanks Gav

--
gavj

That is an odd one. Looks to me like chemical damage. Weedkiller,
wood preserver? Did they weedkill the lawn area? This is sometimes
done to kill perenial weeds so they don't come through the new lawn.
There are some real nasties out there not available to the public.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 9, 1:20*pm, gavj wrote:
[...]

Thinking on, the lawn may have failed for the same reason.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

I don't know the answer, but was there any possibilty of the roots being
disturbed or cut while the area was prepared for the turf?

When the 2nd lot of turf was laid did they remove the sand? if yes it may
be the sand was contaminated (by salt?) effecting the hedge and your
first lot of turf

has any weed and feed type product been used on either batch of turf? as
this often scorches and burns foliage of broad leafed plants.

Unhappily in my experiance Privot often dies due to root/fungal problems
so it may just be coincidence.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 09-11-2010, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2010 13:20, gavj wrote:
Our privot headge is dying and turning a funny colour. See photos
below.

But this only happening where the hedge meets the lawn, where it doesn't
meet the lawn its fine. We had the lawn laid last year and the company
laid it on sand rather than soil. Anyway the lawn failed and we are
currently taking them to court as they were unwilling to resolve the
problem.

Between the hedge and lawn is a 1ft boarder of plum slate and I guess
under that is sand from when the lawn was laid.

We had had to have the sand and new turf taken away and topsoil and new
turf laid (grass growing nicely now).

Why? There may be a clue here. Too much salt in the sand or something?

If it wasn't for the healthy looking chunk off to the left I'd have said
some of it was characteristic of windburn/frost damage to tender shoots
at this time of year. But the stuff nearest the lawn looks distinctly
unwell by comparison. I have known gas leaks kill privet hedge but apart
from that they are tough as old boots.

So just to sum up, if I look at the privot thats near the grass its a
funny colour and thin. If I look where the lawn ends the privots quickly
turns green and healty. (see photo with sleepers)

Does anyone know how I can recover the Privot.

Best bet is probably to leave well alone and give it a bit of fertiliser
when it starts growing next year. And be more careful with any weed
treatments you or your contractors use on the lawn in future.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Registered User

Hi all, and thanks for the replies.

Root damaged is a possibility when they dug out for the new lawn.

No chemicals etc have been used on the "old new" lawn or this new lawn before or after it was laid. But I think the new lawn may have been treated before we received it. But this problem was there before the new grass was laid.

The sand was removed after the latest lawn was laid but the part between the hedge and lawn still has some of the sand under the plum slate.

Can anyone recommend a brand of suitable fertiliser.

Thanks again Gav
Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavj View Post
under the plum slate.
I do wonder about plum slate, whether it sometimes has something nasty in it. I planted a row of fruit trees alongside a wall of my house, that I then protected from weeds by covering with weed excluding fabric and a mulch of plum slate. All the fruit trees died. Of course it is possible that the problem was something in the soil, as there was a layer of coal dust in the soil along that wall. But sometimes i wonder if it was the slate. But other people grow shrubs in just the fashion I describe with a slate mulch, so it must normally be OK.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/2010 08:55, echinosum wrote:
gavj;904802 Wrote:
under the plum slate.

I do wonder about plum slate, whether it sometimes has something nasty
in it. I planted a row of fruit trees alongside a wall of my house,
that I then protected from weeds by covering with weed excluding fabric
and a mulch of plum slate. All the fruit trees died. Of course it is

Planted too deeply perhaps? Trees do need some air at the roots. You can
kill a tree by adding only a few inches of topsoil over the active root
area. The same might well apply to weed fabric and gravel. By excluding
the air you effectively suffocate the tree roots.

possible that the problem was something in the soil, as there was a
layer of coal dust in the soil along that wall. But sometimes i wonder
if it was the slate. But other people grow shrubs in just the fashion I
describe with a slate mulch, so it must normally be OK.

I specified plum slate for our village hall's low maintenance garden and
all the shrubs are growing fine in it. No privet though. I can't see
there is anything likely to be in it that would harm plants.

As someone else said it looks like collateral damage from a selective
herbicide spray. You have to hope the hedge recovers next year. It might
be relevant what sort of soil you are on, but in my experience privet is
pretty difficult to kill on sandy soil or heavy clay.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/2010 11:28, Janet wrote:
In , gavj.7500fd7
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Hi all, and thanks for the replies.

Root damaged is a possibility when they dug out for the new lawn.

No chemicals etc have been used on the "old new" lawn or this new lawn
before or after it was laid. But I think the new lawn may have been
treated before we received it. But this problem was there before the new
grass was laid.

Any photos of it at this stage? I still suspect that a powerful
broadleaf herbicide is the most likely cause of that scorched look.
Privet leaves can go very dark after frosts at this time of year but
only the most exposed leaves suffer from this.

The sand was removed after the latest lawn was laid but the part between
the hedge and lawn still has some of the sand under the plum slate.

Can anyone recommend a brand of suitable fertiliser.

The symptoms the hedge shows are not starvation, and fertilising a sick
plant when you don't know the cause,can often do more harm than good ( a
bit like feeding fish and chips to an unconscious patient).
Privet is very resilient but you won't know till next spring if the
damaged section of hedge is going to recover. I would not feed it
before, or until, it starts to send out new shoots.

Oh Absolutely. Though it may be possible to buy cheap fertiliser now to
use in spring as shops and garden centres clear their shelves for Xmas
goodies. Already too late round here Santas Grotto was up in good time
for him to fight with demons for shelf space on Halloween!

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
I do wonder about plum slate, whether it sometimes has something nasty in it. I planted a row of fruit trees alongside a wall of my house, that I then protected from weeds by covering with weed excluding fabric and a mulch of plum slate. All the fruit trees died. Of course it is possible that the problem was something in the soil, as there was a layer of coal dust in the soil along that wall. But sometimes i wonder if it was the slate. But other people grow shrubs in just the fashion I describe with a slate mulch, so it must normally be OK.
I did wonder about that but the slate is all the way around the the privot and this problem is only where the lawn meets the privot.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Registered User

Looks like my photos have been removed. Is it against the rules to link to Photobucket.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gavj" wrote in message

Looks like my photos have been removed. Is it against the rules to link
to Photobucket.

--
gavj

Mine are still there.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-RWXEKB6...-of-Other.html

All my albums are still there, you only delete them yourself. Cruising.
Family. Garden. My Triumph Motor-cycle. Kestrel etc etc etc

Get an account with myalbum. Easy to use :-))

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.