Old 14-11-2010, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Winter dreaming - small tree

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

OK - I'm southern NH, but have to treat this area of the yard as warmish
Zone 4 - the wind really creates a very cold microclimate on that side of
the yard, especially around the proposed site - aka the top of the hill.

Needs to be drought tolerant once established, able to take wind and lots
sun. And give me some winter interest and some shade for the bench. Spread -
about 8-10 feet, height maxing at 20 foot. Don't mind pruning but would
object to anything that suckers.

I donšt want an evergreen - in the long view (up the hill) it is backed by
pines, oaks and maples and I think would get lost. Great bark or fruit that
would attract birds....

Go to town folks... I want to make this happen next spring and will be
putting my pennies aside to save for it.

Cheryl

Two of my favorites are Franklinia and Stewartia both however don't
like drought. Do OK here in zone 5 . I have them in shade too another
issue. Took 4 attempts to get the Stewartia take but persistence paid
off. Lovely trees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewartia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklinia

--